Does the 2x TC Work Well with 600 f4?

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

yyjDennis

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Dennis Cloutier
I'm going to break down and order the 600mm f$ lens. (Funny, I always find myself pressing the shift key when typing 600 mm f$. Must be a freudian thing.)

I'm wondering whether I should get the 2x TC to go with it. Has anyone used this combo? Can you comment on the image quality effects of using the 2x with this lens?

Thanks,
Dennis

I'm going to break down and order the 600mm f$ lens. (Funny, I always find myself pressing the shift key when typing 600 mm f$. Must be a freudian thing.)

I'm wondering whether I should get the 2x TC to go with it. Has anyone used this combo? Can you comment on the image quality effects of using the 2x with this lens?

Thanks,
Dennis
Dennis, Mark Galer continually states he prefers the 1.4 TC because there is almost no loss of IQ, but he says there is a noticeable IQ loss using the 2.0 TC. He has a page on Flickr (www.flickr.com - Mark Galer's Albums) and has many test images there which are well documented. He has 3 pages of albums, just thumb through them to find the appropriate test. He will also have a test of your 600mm $4 lens as well. Happy hunting.

It does work fine but I see a small drop in IQ when using it compared to the 1.4. Having said that I'm guessing most of us would want to use the 2x when subjects are some distance away so logic says you are always likely to lose some IQ at long distances irrespective of what you are using

Dennis, Mark Galer continually states he prefers the 1.4 TC because there is almost no loss of IQ, but he says there is a noticeable IQ loss using the 2.0 TC. He has a page on Flickr (www.flickr.com - Mark Galer's Albums) and has many test images there which are well documented. He has 3 pages of albums, just thumb through them to find the appropriate test. He will also have a test of your 600mm $4 lens as well. Happy hunting.
Thanks for that. I watched his video review of the 400 2.8 and looked at some of the flicker images. It does seem that the 2x TC images aren't really as sharp as I would hope for. I think I'm going to stick with my 1.4.

Thanks,
Dennis

Thanks for that. I watched his video review of the 400 2.8 and looked at some of the flicker images. It does seem that the 2x TC images aren't really as sharp as I would hope for. I think I'm going to stick with my 1.4.

Thanks,
Dennis
Keep looking around though. I have seen reviews both ways. I read one review (I think on Miranda) where the guy bought both and found the 2X lacking. However, he decided to try another one and it was fantastic. I would say they're not all created equal and like anything else there could be variations form copy to copy. My plan is to buy one from a place that has easy returns and try it. If it stinks, return and try another. If the second one stinks, return and get the 1.4.

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back