Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Country
United States
City/State
Dallas/Oregon
Finally, I can use DXO PhotoLab again. Prefer using DeepPrime for denoising raw files. :)

I also use Topaz but I will not use it for denoising the raw file because it can sometimes shilft the color.
This was the response I gave on YT when I tested the latest versions two months ago.
"The color shift was so bad that DXO was definitely better for that image. In the case of DeNoise the raw histogram (used RAW Digger) was shifted to the right and the color channels were smoothed out and equaled out whereas with DXO the color channels were closer to the original and the red channel was not shifted to match the green and blue channels which helped to explain why RGB rendering (in RAW Digger) of the DeNoise file actually had a pinkish color cast on it. "

I find both products to be really good but find DXO a little better. Normally it will depend on my workflow on which product I will use.
DXO workflow: Bridge --> DXO Deep Prime --> Export as DNG --> Open in photo editor --> Process the image
Topaz workflow: Open RAW file in photo editor --> Process the image --> Topaz if denoise is necessary

.... Topaz workflow: Open RAW file in photo editor --> Process the image --> Topaz if denoise is necessary
When you say "photo editor," I'm assuming you mean the Topaz Studio product? Yes?

.... I also use Topaz but I will not use it for denoising the raw file because it can sometimes shift the color.
Do you experience this DeNoise "color shift" with RAW only, or also with JPEG?
I believe Topaz people suggest you initially DeNoise an image first, before applying Studio or Sharpen. Would you agree? If not, why?

Personally, I don't care so much for Topaz anymore. It seems last year's versions work better than the current ones. Even at lower slider values, I see artifacts, aliasing, mosquitoes, or other issues. Sometimes the original image is noticeably better than the processed image. I try not to use it, and instead use the Riv 60meg horsepower, optimal lighting, low ISO, and thick DoF in order to max the IQ. Then no post is needed. And due to my laziness, I don't mess w color correction too much, unless maybe for a specimen pic.

Until AI gets significantly better, I'm not wasting more money. But I am still interested in learning about AI s/w products and follow AI improvements. I'd rather perfect my shooting skills using insights/wisdom vs. post corrections. Except for cropping, of course.... when the bug takes up only 2 pixels within a 60meg sensor.... well, maybe that's exaggerating a bit.

For Photo Editor, I use Lightroom, PhotoShop, or Capture One.

I haven't tried to denoise a jpeg. I gave it a try and no issue.

If I followed the suggestion of the Topaz people to initially denoise the image first then that is denoising the raw file which is where I ran into the color shift problem. DXO on the other hand does much better.

I'm using denoising less because I have gotten comfortable with ISO 8000 for the A1, ISO 16000 for the A7S3, ISO 4000 for the A7R4. I just try to have the proper camera and lens on hand for whatever I'm shooting. I would rather embrace the noise and accept it as a thing to expect for what I am shooting. :)

Thanks for explaining. I had a misunderstanding when you listed "Photo Editor" on same line entitled: Topaz Workflow.
I thought you were listing the Topaz work sequence using Topaz from the beginning. That's why I thought you meant Topaz Studio when mentioning Photo Editor (since Studio2 is Topaz's editor). I get it now. Thanks.

ie: Topaz workflow: Open RAW file in photo editor --> Process the image --> Topaz if denoise is necessary

Back