Name
Ralph Ernesti
Country
Australia
City/State
Mildura
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I have just read the thread called A7R IV or Swap to A7 IV? for small birds by Russell Webb (snr), and found it interesting but I am slow.
In this advancement so please put up with me or tell me there is no hope and just continue doing what I am.

When I go out birding my set up is like this , I am on JPEG as my format. My lens is at 90 to 100% zoomed out, I have got it on Clear Image Zoom so I can have the extra zoom. I am set to Animal Eye. Also set to the largest size image I can get, On sRGB, set on Manual Mode, Drive Mode set to High most of the time and on AF-C. I think these are the main setting so you can get an understanding of what I go out with.

But in all of this I have not got that little box to come on the screen to show the eye, I thought this was down to the fact that I am zoomed out. As when I have bought the lens back in to what I think is the 100mm range the eye box then shows up. I don't know if this is right or not. But I would love to have that box to indicate to me that I am on target.

Do I have to push a button on the camera as I have the Eye AF set the the Trash Can or button C4. But I think if I remember right, with the above stuff and I push the C4 button it reads Zoom and nothing happens.

Am I missing out by doing something wrong as I have watched Youtube things and they are no help at all. The only thing I do notice is that they don't use the zoom on any lens on their cameras it is always at the normal position. I think I am still doing okay but I would love to be able to use that function but I don't think I am unless it is working in a hidden way, but me being me I am not sure on this point.
Could some one please help me out on this as I know any improvement in my skill levels would be great even if it is the camera giving them to me. And I use the Sony A7iii and my lens is the Sigma 100/400mm

Thank you for your time and an extra thank you if you decide to help in any way.

I have just read the thread called A7R IV or Swap to A7 IV? for small birds by Russell Webb (snr), and found it interesting but I am slow.
In this advancement so please put up with me or tell me there is no hope and just continue doing what I am.

When I go out birding my set up is like this , I am on JPEG as my format. My lens is at 90 to 100% zoomed out, I have got it on Clear Image Zoom so I can have the extra zoom. I am set to Animal Eye. Also set to the largest size image I can get, On sRGB, set on Manual Mode, Drive Mode set to High most of the time and on AF-C. I think these are the main setting so you can get an understanding of what I go out with.

But in all of this I have not got that little box to come on the screen to show the eye, I thought this was down to the fact that I am zoomed out. As when I have bought the lens back in to what I think is the 100mm range the eye box then shows up. I don't know if this is right or not. But I would love to have that box to indicate to me that I am on target.

Do I have to push a button on the camera as I have the Eye AF set the the Trash Can or button C4. But I think if I remember right, with the above stuff and I push the C4 button it reads Zoom and nothing happens.

Am I missing out by doing something wrong as I have watched Youtube things and they are no help at all. The only thing I do notice is that they don't use the zoom on any lens on their cameras it is always at the normal position. I think I am still doing okay but I would love to be able to use that function but I don't think I am unless it is working in a hidden way, but me being me I am not sure on this point.
Could some one please help me out on this as I know any improvement in my skill levels would be great even if it is the camera giving them to me. And I use the Sony A7iii and my lens is the Sigma 100/400mm

Thank you for your time and an extra thank you if you decide to help in any way.
Are you talking about getting the ( little green box) showing on a birds eye ? If so then only the A1 and A74 have birds eye focus. Although sometimes you may get it showing on a bird but it’s not actually meant for birds so usually just a lucky hit..

Are you talking about getting the ( little green box) showing on a birds eye ? If so then only the A1 and A74 have birds eye focus. Although sometimes you may get it showing on a bird but it’s not actually meant for birds so usually just a lucky hit..
Exactly what you said so thank you for straightening this out for me. As the A7iii has animal eye I just thought it would cover birds as well. But this is okay as I will continue on as I am.

Exactly what you said so thank you for straightening this out for me. As the A7iii has animal eye I just thought it would cover birds as well. But this is okay as I will continue on as I am.
Just to say and as you can see I am no expert but I found the animal eye option did work on larger birds but as pointed out in my post you referred to on smaller birds it really is hit or miss as it seems to find what it thinks is an eye on small birds feather structure so you miss focus, I have now turned it off and believe am getting results. Russ

Just to say and as you can see I am no expert but I found the animal eye option did work on larger birds but as pointed out in my post you referred to on smaller birds it really is hit or miss as it seems to find what it thinks is an eye on small birds feather structure so you miss focus, I have now turned it off and believe am getting results. Russ
If things work out right, tomorrow I might be going out and if I do I will try and give it a go. But if the rain comes I will be staying home. But So far the way I have got it all set up and my results are quite good so really I should just leave it as it is as nothing will be gained anyway. But trying that out could make it better so I willl look at it. Thank you again. Its 2.15 am and I better get some sleep and leave the tennis play out on its own to.

If things work out right, tomorrow I might be going out and if I do I will try and give it a go. But if the rain comes I will be staying home. But So far the way I have got it all set up and my results are quite good so really I should just leave it as it is as nothing will be gained anyway. But trying that out could make it better so I willl look at it. Thank you again. Its 2.15 am and I better get some sleep and leave the tennis play out on its own to.
Again no expert but someone will be able to tell you but on my 7R IV you can use a spare SD card to back up your settings then if you have a play around you just insert that card and reset the camera as was. Russ.

Again no expert but someone will be able to tell you but on my 7R IV you can use a spare SD card to back up your settings then if you have a play around you just insert that card and reset the camera as was. Russ.
Thanks for that but I have got all and I mean all setting written down in a little book. So if something went bump in the night I am able to set it back to where I was before. It took a far while to get it all written down and I have made changes that have not worked I get out my little book and go though them and set them back to what they were before. It has saved me a few times now and I am glad I took the time to do this.

It's available too on the A9.

It depends wholly on light and contrast. If the camera can’t tell it’s an eye, it won’t work. Smaller birds, especially those with dark feathers around the eye are particularly a pain.

It depends wholly on light and contrast. If the camera can’t tell it’s an eye, it won’t work. Smaller birds, especially those with dark feathers around the eye are particularly a pain.
And don’t even think of pointing it at a Peacock 😂😂

I can't believe I posted to this old thread. I was posting from my phone, which I've never done before, and it popped up. I feel like a newb...

Back