Facebook ruining my images. Help please.

Simon.S

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Simon Silvester
I am taking some good resolution photos with my new a7riii, clear as a bell on latest iPad and my MacBook but so poor when loaded to Facebook where I frequently post to several groups and friends. I have turned settings to HD on Apple devices. I know another photographer with same camera and he posts superb images. Facebook has to minimise file size but mine are trashed. Not had a problem with previous Fujifilm apsc camera. Is there a work around.

Downsample your images yourself, before uploading them. This way FB won’t touch them anymore.

Downsample your images yourself, before uploading them. This way FB won’t touch them anymore.
Yes, ruin them yourself and that way you won't feel violated. Sorry, but I feel a rant coming on. So it's a pet peeve of mine and I don't even have to go outside of my own family. I spent a lot of money and bought great gear. I try and do a good job and some of what I do I'm proud of. Then my wife and Son come along and display my photos on their cell phone. I'm sorry, but that is just WRONG. So Facebook down rez'es your pictures. That's a bummer. I choose to display my images, such as they are, on Flickr. Flickr Pro is $60.00 per year and I can upload ridiculously large images to my heart's content, no limit, no ads and no down-res. While I'm at it, if you can afford a Sony camera, you can afford a 4K monitor. You'll love it. Rant out! Sorry, carry on.

No ranting because:
1) I closed my FB account years ago.
2) I view my images on a 75” 4K TV (that costs less than my cheapest GM prime lens) and edit them on a 32” 4K computer monitor
3) I show my images on an iPad-pro and print the best ones in big sizes.

Last edited:
Thanks for this. I am on a steep learning curve with the camera, a new IPad and I am also a beginner with Affinity. I have resized in Affinity but can’t get them into my photos on IPad as yet. This may not be the right forum for me to ask basic questions but I shall keep going for a bit. As an experiment I will download three test shots below.
006C1539-01CB-4B45-93B4-CA4A91CBD628.jpeg
  • ILCE-7RM3A
  • FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS
  • 156.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 400
Thanks{
83481555-329F-4F6A-8FB1-026D61D52C37.jpeg
  • ILCE-7RM3A
  • 235.0 mm
  • ƒ/9
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 400

F5EA7EEC-DC83-49CB-8DE9-3AC771B75B1D.jpeg
  • ILCE-7RM3A
  • 303.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 400

I am happy with these but some resolution has been lost when I try and zoom in.

For FB, resize your pictures so the long edge is at 2048 pixels and then upload them and you should be much happier.

Like Michael says, for Facebook it's best to resize to 2048px at the longest edge then either save max quality jpeg or png, png files normally preserve a little more detail after uploading to Facebook.

Uploading as a .png file stops it, but it's also a paim to keep images that way. I personally don't see too much compression in my images, and I don't often resize (unless it's a full res image which FB won't cope with). I just upload in hi res, and they seem to be ok.

When I post anything anywhere after getting the image ready to post I do the edit the resize it
All images are set to 1000 on the biggest side and the computer take care to the other side.
I knock the resolution down from 250 to 40 and this is on any format where I post a photo.
For me this works and I have not had anyone scream at me

Get a Flicker account. You can link back to farcebook with one click. When someone clicks on the photo it takes them to Flickr.

But to be honest, I scale mine down to 2000 on the long side anyway. That's more than enough to view online.

I never share photos on FB or Instagram. I do share here and on a couple of other web-based forums, and for that purpose I set the long side to 1800 pixels, and that seems to work out pretty well.

I am taking some good resolution photos with my new a7riii, clear as a bell on latest iPad and my MacBook but so poor when loaded to Facebook where I frequently post to several groups and friends. I have turned settings to HD on Apple devices. I know another photographer with same camera and he posts superb images. Facebook has to minimise file size but mine are trashed. Not had a problem with previous Fujifilm apsc camera. Is there a work around.
as others have suggested try keeping them to a limit of 2400x2400 that is the accepted size i have heard and have done with mine and it helps alot the other alternative is to post a link from like smugmug which is awesome to show full size but some people are skiddish about cliking on a link i have found

Back