Automobiles Flat Rock Speedway, first time doing oval track!

Brownie

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
Was invited to shoot at a local ARCA track this weekend. Most of this was from the infield, some from the pit wall. I shot shutters from 100-1000, and was surprised just how slow it took to get decent motion blur. Depending on the lens, anywhere from 100-160, sometimes could get a little with 320 but it was minimal.

Click any of the photos to visit the Flickr album, about 100 images now, maybe another 20-30 to process.

There were three divisions, Outlaw Super Late Model, Street Stock, and Figure 8. Had a blast, hopefully I'll be invited back some day.

Outlaw is basically a tube chassis with panels bolted on to resemble car.

DSC02610 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

DSC02644 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

DSC02028 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

DSC02590 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

DSC02528 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

Street Stock isn't stock at all, they use standard car bodies and chassis, but that's about it. The #82 car is being driven by Ken Schrader, a 4 time NASCAR Champion who showed up to guest-drive a local car.

DSC05585 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

A few minor accidents
DSC05454 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

DSC02800 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

Drafting a bit close!
DSC02769 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

DSC02372 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

DSC02249 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

Figure 8 cars are like big Go-Karts with a way-too-large engine. Special built for the genre. Not at all like you see on TV where the race is more of a demolition derby, they try to avoid each other at the intersection, even coming to a stop if necessary. That's the strategy: Do you rush the intersection to make up time and risk an accident, or do you play it safe and lose time?

DSC02403 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

DSC02400 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

DSC02443 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

DSC05479 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

Winner!
DSC05731 by Shotglass Photo, on Flickr

Very nice. Speedway is a totally different thing here.

Very nice. Speedway is a totally different thing here.
Well, ok, but what does it mean? You can't just say that and leave me hanging!

Haha. This. Back in my youth this was on TV a lot and Ivan Mauger was the absolute boss.

Attachments

• eefe2099-8bbc-3723-9cd6-77f9c77467b1.jpeg
    eefe2099-8bbc-3723-9cd6-77f9c77467b1.jpeg
    343.4 KB · Views: 36
Here, speedway is pretty much interchangeable with racetrack of the paved variety regardless of what they're running. We would call that 'dirt track'.

Here, speedway is pretty much interchangeable with racetrack of the paved variety regardless of what they're running. We would call that 'dirt track'.
We call dirt track Motocross :D

Back