Name
Ralph Ernesti
Country
Australia
City/State
Mildura
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
This is an on again off again thing. One day it will focus and my shots are as good as anyone's (I think anyway).
But then go out next time with no changes except naturally the sunlight.
And I might get one in 5 or 1 in 10 shots that are now on the just okay mark.

I tried Back Button Focusing and I thought this was the best thing since sliced bread,.
But on my outing today (Sorry all deleted) the shots were blurry and what I did get out of it was only just passable.
So while I was out taking photo's I reset it to bring it back to the shutter button half push for focus again.
And even there were the same.

I know its not the lens as I sent that away to be looked at and has come back with them telling me it had grit in the focus ring.
We do live in a dusty area here so I d understand this especially in summer

I Done a test at the wetland across the road and on this day I had a smile on my face as shot after shot was good.
I done the same with the Sony RX10M4 and same smile happened

Now this is starting to get to me and it is close to hammer time as I don't know how to fix this.
And yep, I have watched Youtube and not one but many on focus and still none the wiser.

I am going out on a birding day on Sunday (Tuesday Morning now) and I have been told I stand a good chance in getting a bird I have been after for a long while.
And I am hoping someone here might have had this happen to them and they fixed it and would be willing to let me know fix it like they have.
Thanks everyone for your time but I am getting close to putting this camera away for good.

Which focus mode are you using?

The Sony A7ii I have used the lot of them which is why I am not understanding why its not working right.

Last edited:
This is an on again off again thing. One day it will focus and my shots are as good as anyone's (I think anyway). But then go out next time with no changes except naturally the sunlight. And I might get one in 5 or 1 in 10 shots that are now on the just okay mark.....

And I am hoping someone here might have had this happen to them and they fixed it.....
I'm certainly no authority on AF issues, but I've experienced same thing as you describe w my Riv, 135 GM, or 200-600. The proc I follow is simple:
1. I use tracking/flex-spot/(center position) at the outset and get grn box AF lock w AF-ON button, then check low/left corner EVF for grn lock circle symbol, then press shutter. If I get blurred with this proc, I then proceed to step#2.

2. (For stationary target) Manual focus lens, up the shutter, hold @ iso100, and bump to f/5.6-11. Then every shot is so good, I can hardly cull any of 20 shots of same target. If manual lens is undesirable, perhaps a moving target involved, I go step#3.

3. Shutter depends on target motion; f/11 or 13, AF lock proc same as #1 above. Usually, when AF box and grn left/bot circle symbol are both green, then 8 of 10 are pretty sharp if ambient is bright enough and sun to back. But on rare occasion, even this sometimes fails. Shooting f/13 is a major ethical violation, I know.... but if target is valuable enough, I opt for deep DoF w f/13 to ensure everything is in-focus. Caveat: when my forum post EXIF shows f/13 under photo, I get hate letters from the f/1,2— f/1.4—f/1.8 bokeh fraternity boys. You must decide if it's worth the risk @ f/13. :oops:

But the more seasoned shooters on forum probably have much better advice than mine.

Last edited:
I'm certainly no authority on AF issues, but I've experienced same thing as you describe w my Riv, 135 GM, or 200-600. The proc I follow is simple:
1. I use flex/sm/center at the outset and get grn box AF lock w AF-ON button, then check low/left corner EVF for grn lock circle symbol, then press shutter. If I get blurred with this proc, I then proceed to step#2.

2. (For stationary target) Manual focus lens, up the shutter, hold @ iso100, and bump to f/5.6-11. Then every shot is so good, I can hardly cull any of 20 shots of same target. If manual lens is undesirable, perhaps a moving target involved, I go step#3.

3. Shutter depends on target motion; f/11 or 13, AF lock proc same as #1 above. Usually, when AF box and grn left/bot circle symbol are both green, then 8 of 10 are pretty sharp if ambient is bright enough and sun to back. But on rare occasion, even this sometimes fails. Shooting f/13 is a major ethical violation, I know.... but if target is valuable enough, I opt for deep DoF w f/13 to ensure everything is in-focus. Caveat: when my forum post EXIF shows f/13 under photo, I get hate letters from the f/1,2— f/1.4—f/1.8 bokeh fraternity boys. You must decide if it's worth the risk @ f/13. :oops:
It not a good day outside today So I will set up the camera ready to head out in the morning if all things are good.
I think I am close to these setting as I watch a Youtube and it was an Aussie fella doing it and he has closely said what you have be he had
The Flexible spot on on medium. So I will swap it over to the small.
I think his name is Mark Galer.
He he stuck on F8 on he talks which I have watch a few but I am willing to give anything a try.
My lens is the contemporary Sigma 100/400mm lens which I have just got back from the repair place.
I have taken a few tumbles so I sent it in and they said it had grit in the focus ring. So with this I knew it couldn't be that.

I was on back button Focus with the camera but the other day I just couldn't get focus. So I done a reset and back to the normal way.
Now I think this part was down to me from getting use to the other focus with worked well with duck sized birds but little one it just was no good.
I have got shots of it on Back button on ducks and they have worked out good. But I am more of a little bird hunter so this just
wasn't going to work.
I have got the RX10 on Back-button Focus and so far this has worked out well for that one.
On Sunday I am going on my real 1st bird trip which I am paying for and they has as close as they can say, that we should get a
Mallee Fowl, which is high on my list and the reason for me to go. So I want to get one camera fully working and I want to have it being
the A7ii.

So thank you so much for taking the time to put this down for me to follow which had to take a lot of time.
I really appreciate what you have done and this is honest. I will let you know how I go on the setting you have sent.
And look forwards to giving them a go, Thanks again mate means a lot to me.

I think his name is Mark Galer. He is stuck on F8 on he talks .....
Mark is a Sony whiz --- lots of experience, knowledge, wisdom. He is looked up to by many. I'm guessing Mark likes f/8 because many pundits believe f/8 is the "sweet spot" for minimizing diffraction. But each shooter has their own degree of preferred perfection. So for some, technical diffraction (IQ) is less important than what is merely pleasant to the eye. So f/13 is not my favorite "go-to" setting, it's more of an insurance policy when detailed resolution is critical to me. Actually f/5.6 to 11 is my favor.

Mallee Fowl, which is high on my list and the reason for me to go. So I want to get one camera fully working and I want to have it being
the A7ii.
Also, I failed to mention, if you continue having AF issues, you may want to try a different lens to see if problem persists. Sometimes it's not the camera or pilot error. And menu setting configs are now complex, you can have one small setting that unwittingly interferes with the normal AF/Tracking function. I had to read the manual to discover exceptions to certain combo setting rules. At the end of each section in manual, it lists situations in which the given setting won't work in combination w others. Or combo settings that interfere w each other. Just keep trying and don't become frustrated and retire your cams. Sometimes we may need a breather, then come back anew.

And the best of luck on your trip and capturing your Malle. And if AF fails on trip, try manual lens focus, it's faster than we think. Enjoy!
And helping you in the least, has been my pleasure.

With grey skys I went over the road and this is what I got.
Some are on F13 and some on F8 which I do happen to like more myself.
Camera in Step one for very close to it as I was just itching to get out and get this camera working.
I still had the ones which had to be deleted but I am not sure if you know but I have put down about it here.
I broke me wrist 3 time in about the the same amount of weeks and now its very weak.
Arthritis running rampant as well. So this is where I place blame on me.
My thoughts are to move to a good and strong monopod unlike the thin spiders leg one I have now.
I think in time if I go this was I will get better and not miss as many shots as I will starting out.
Also thank you so much for you top help as I think it has on me on track.
Test A7ii 6-07-2021 (123).JPG
  • ILCE-7M2
  • 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS | Contemporary 020
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/13
  • 1/25 sec
  • ISO 125
Test A7ii 6-07-2021 (139).JPG
  • ILCE-7M2
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/13
  • 1/25 sec
  • ISO 200
Test A7ii 6-07-2021 (304).JPG
  • ILCE-7M2
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/20 sec
  • ISO 100
Test A7ii 6-07-2021 (333).JPG
  • ILCE-7M2
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/20 sec
  • ISO 100
Test A7ii 6-07-2021 (374).JPG
  • ILCE-7M2
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/30 sec
  • ISO 250
Test A7ii 6-07-2021 (437).JPG
  • ILCE-7M2
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/50 sec
  • ISO 200

Ralph, I think your f/8 shots look pretty darn good to me, especially w no sun shining on over-cast day. And remember, I use f/13 only to ensure the bird's or insect's entire body is in full focus. Some like head only in-focus w lots of luscious bokeh contrast; nothing wrong w that. But I merely prefer entire bird or bug in full focus --- it's merely shot style preference for each individual shooter.

For example, your shot #5 is f/8 w duck eye in great focus, head in good focus, and body feathers somewhat soft. Many, if not most, shooters prefer a shot-spread like that. That's good. But I'm weird and just happen to like the entire head/body and every single feather in pin focus. But that's just my personal eccentric attitude. Keep playing with various settings, and you'll be fine on your trip, hoping you have good sun conditions.

Ralph, I think your f/8 shots look pretty darn good to me, especially w no sun shining on over-cast day. And remember, I use f/13 only to ensure the bird's or insect's entire body is in full focus. Some like head only in-focus w lots of luscious bokeh contrast; nothing wrong w that. But I merely prefer entire bird or bug in full focus --- it's merely shot style preference for each individual shooter.

For example, your shot #5 is f/8 w duck eye in great focus, head in good focus, and body feathers somewhat soft. Many, if not most, shooters prefer a shot-spread like that. That's good. But I'm weird and just happen to like the entire head/body and every single feather in pin focus. But that's just my personal eccentric attitude. Keep playing with various settings, and you'll be fine on your trip, hoping you have good sun conditions.
You have been a massive help to me and it is totally appreciated fully.
I understand how people take shot and take them the way they like to see shots presented and this can differ from one to the next.
I am a person who likes little birds but in this if I can get a shot of them in a tree with some branches in the way I like this.
But I understand the duck one and I took it that way only because I did. There was not real reason behind it.
And this is where I have the weird part as I will take shots like this and in the tree's as for me its not what we usually see.
As you said people like to see these full on shot, and I like to shake it up a little.

I am hoping I can get back out before Sunday with the A7ii and fire off a few more shot to get a little more comfortable with it.
As going from one camera to the next make me think more than I like. So I will do a few more shots over the road.
See if they are still coming out as today is a good day but I have doctors to see. So if I get home in time.
And the light is still good I will do it if not I will have to hope tomorrow will be good.
Thanks so much for your time a patience with me on this you have helped a lot.

Hi think about your shutter speed and focal length a bit more the shutter speed look slow related to focal lengths in shots, what mode do you shoot in , also if you use a good monopod it helps

Hi think about your shutter speed and focal length a bit more the shutter speed look slow related to focal lengths in shots, what mode do you shoot in , also if you use a good monopod it helps
Thanks and honestly I have just become aware of that or those combinations. Yes I know that is slack but it's the truth and I am trying to address that part of it now.
But I have now moved on to the Sony A7iii and I have to sort of relearn quite a lot. As if you have seen some of my posts, I have mentioned about being slow on the uptake of info.
I did try shutter mode but I wasn't sure if this was working out right for me. My last outing I went to Manual Mode. I can say I like this one the most..
But yesterday I did forget I was on it and forgot to dial in the correct lighting for the shots I was taking. The I had the problem one it freezing up.So I had to do a full reset out bush as it was the only way to get things moving again.
So yes I have got far more to work on than meets the eye to get half as good as I see here.
Which is the reason I am here as its the best way to be push and informed on how to get it right.
So a few more outing and keeping notes I will get there.

Back