Followers
Following
Name
Cliff Day
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Monmouthshire ,Wales
Hi Everyone, some advice needed.I've only joined the Sony alpha family, in the last few weeks with the A7iii, 200-600 and 24-105 .Previously I have in the last 30 years shot Nikon and I mostly shoot wildlife with D500, 200-500 and Z6 etc ( amongst loads of others) The switch to Sony has been positive in the most part, my main hobby is Wildlife and Birds in flight in particular, and I have only had limited time with the camera but played with most of the focus mode options and found Zone to be the most consistent so far. So, my question is what have you experienced shooters found to be the best option for birds in flight but also stationary subjects - again stationary I've found expanded spot the best . I look forward to hearing your views and suggestions, so I may try them out .....oh and do you use spot metering for BIF as I used to on the Nikon but on the Sony have found matrix better

I bought an A9 recently and was using Zone and liked it although I found it focused on the wing tip sometimes (Buzzard). I've been using Wide recently and found the success rate to be a little bit better.

ah, thanks very much Chris, every day is a school day for me, I'll try wide out , next time out -

This is the question I have as well with wildlife. Right now I'm using center since I can control it better, but I've heard zone and flexible spot work well. I'm using an a6500 so I think the Autofocus is less awesome than the new camera bodies.

Wide or wide tracking for me. That said I also have a custom button set up for static shots with expandable flexible spot and spot metering so I can grab focus between the branches of trees and the like. This also allows for slower shutter speed and lower ISO . I also have another custom button set to toggle back and forth between two focus modes wide/wide tracking and flexible spot tracking. This allows me to switch modes with one button click to grab focus on a moving target in front of busy background when wide/wide tracking won’t pick up subject.oh and I use center metering for BIF.

For stationary subjects my husband uses wide with eye recognition but I use flexible spot. I'm reading this thread with interest as I would like to do more bird/wildlife photography.

Wide or wide tracking for me. That said I also have a custom button set up for static shots with expandable flexible spot and spot metering so I can grab focus between the branches of trees and the like. This also allows for slower shutter speed and lower ISO . I also have another custom button set to toggle back and forth between two focus modes wide/wide tracking and flexible spot tracking. This allows me to switch modes with one button click to grab focus on a moving target in front of busy background when wide/wide tracking won’t pick up subject.oh and I use center metering for BIF.
interesting, must try out the options, thank you for the input , I too have set up the AF on button to switch between focus modes, in my case Zone and flexible spot small, I moved the back button focus to the AEL button as I found BBF with AF on a bit less comfortable than using the AEL button

For stationary subjects my husband uses wide with eye recognition but I use flexible spot. I'm reading this thread with interest as I would like to do more bird/wildlife photography.
ah, eye recognition, right well, I haven't ventured that far yet, but that's an interesting addition to the arsenal - one to bookmark for investigation , thank you

TRY:

Focus mode: AF-C;
Focus area: Tracking Ext Flex Spot (with box at center frame) — with Face/Eye Rec Priority.

AF Lock-on

Last edited:
Hi I have the a7iii and a9 the a7iii for wildlife flex spot with focus points linked and always AF-C with priority on focus, also check you have the latest firmware on the a7iii as the last update, seemed to improve focus some what, as for birds in flight I am still learning on that one so no comment on that one and I use the a9 for that anyway

I'll certainly be trying different settings still not got it quite right yet. Been out today with focus area set on zone for still birds and tracking expand flexible spot for BIF. Atmospheric conditions played a bit of a part today I think but I've seen some improvement, keep up with the advice folks.

For BIF, Zone is great if the background is uncluttered, but try with trees etc behind and it will pick up anything it feels like, especially if it's windy. I find that centre with tracking is better with a cluttered background (also works when clear), and expanded flexible spot can be very effective too. I would never use any of those for a static bird, single centre only for everything else, it gives you far more control over your focus point for your subject.

Back