Display Focus Point in Post Editing Software

Lydnian

Newcomer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Is there any way in post-processing software to have the focus point displayed? If so, which software? Thanks in advance

Do you mean which focus mode you used, or where in the shot it focussed?

It would be really cool if there was some kind of extended information capture both for stills and video that records all your settings like focus mode and selection, IBS on/off, etc.

Then no, though I guess it should be obvious when you look closely at a shot. Are you having a specific issue with focus accuracy?
No real issue but would like to know where the tracking mode is 'looking', especially with fast movers. Easy with slower subjects as you can see the lock on but less so with the quick ones. It also helps to sharpen technique. Was standard on my Canons and surprising it's not present in Sony

Is there any way in post-processing software to have the focus point displayed? If so, which software? Thanks in advance

I'm interested in this too as it would be useful when I'm focus stacking images.

The data must be held as when you review images you're taken previously in camera, the focus point is available for each image.

Solution
There is a LR plug-in that shows the focus point. I don't know if it supports current builds of LR or even if it is still supported... I use C1P.

In C1P you can turn on focus plane that shows you what is in focus but not the point.

No real issue but would like to know where the tracking mode is 'looking', especially with fast movers.....
Two things I'm curious about. First, I'm wondering what benefit is there in knowing the focus point in images in post. What would that tell you, other than the cam AF missed the mark. But that can be revealed by examining image.

Secondly, if you're using an a7 series cam, the viewfinder's AF squares will tell you exactly where the focus points are and where the "tracking" is looking, regardless of how fast the target is moving. We need only pay attention.

I'm not being judgmental, but rather curious about why the need to know the FP in post; especially when a critical eye would disclose that point. But knowing that, how can that help you? Perhaps I'm missing something, since I too am learning new things and always thirsty for tips and shortcuts.

The fact Canon incorporates that feature, there must be some value I'm not aware of. And curious what it might be.

As shown by A7Info....
There's a plane of focus. The point decided by the camera could be anywhere on it.
Quite often the point isn't on the subject where you had eg Small Spot located, and ditto with bursts in Zone (which you might expect if CAF is attempting prediction).
Then there's the focus point and the phase detect points used to help decide it, or not. On my A9 it appears that in SAF only contrast detect sensing is used. That's significant for what you expect AF to do. And sometimes in CAF PDAF isn't used. Ditto.

Ziggy, well said. But why would I want to know the focus point or plane in post? How can I benefit by knowing that info? I can tell whether cam AF nailed the target by looking at image. If I missed the target, why would I be concerned where else in the image was focal point?

I might learn that I need more practice at tracking target if it's blurry. But wouldn't discovering my error be confined to needing more skill in the viewfinder rather than in post?

1. It tells you whether and how well CAF prediction or tracking sensitivity are working.
2. It tells you whether the lock was achieved by CD alone or also via PD.
3. It shows you where the lock was achieved if not on the intended subject - the A9 is capable of giving you confirmation on your target when the lock is elsewhere.
Understanding those informs your choice of settings.
I'll leave it to you to figure out how.

..... Understanding those informs your choice of settings. I'll leave it to you to figure out how.
Thanks Ziggy, now I get it. Have surfed the 7Riv menu dozens of times, making changes as I learn more. But only found a few settings ref sensitivity, while other options I'm clueless to their function and impact. I intend more menu option research as you suggest. Didn't know these sensitivity options available to improve AF/Track significantly. Thanks again!

Sorry garuda; a recipe depends on the circumstances, the capacities of the gear and the techniques available to the user, so there's no point in me giving you mine.

Two things I'm curious about. First, I'm wondering what benefit is there in knowing the focus point in images in post. What would that tell you, other than the cam AF missed the mark. But that can be revealed by examining image.

Secondly, if you're using an a7 series cam, the viewfinder's AF squares will tell you exactly where the focus points are and where the "tracking" is looking, regardless of how fast the target is moving. We need only pay attention.

I'm not being judgmental, but rather curious about why the need to know the FP in post; especially when a critical eye would disclose that point. But knowing that, how can that help you? Perhaps I'm missing something, since I too am learning new things and always thirsty for tips and shortcuts.

The fact Canon incorporates that feature, there must be some value I'm not aware of. And curious what it might be.

Hi @garuda, as well as the points Ziggy mentions, a time it would have been useful for me is when focus stacking. I had taken a series of images on a rocky beach. The first was focus on a rock very close to the lens and then the other images focused on rocks moving out from that. I think lost concentration when taking the subsequent images so I'd lost track on the order. When I came to combine them in post I wanted to see where I'd focused on each image so I could combine them in the right order. I could see the focus point by looking back at them in the camera, but not in the same images in post.

Back