Followers
Following
Name
Cliff Day
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Monmouthshire ,Wales
Having come from Nikon recently where focus stacking was a breeze, i.e the Z6, D850 etc had the facility to set up in camera, how does everyone stack with Sony A7/9 series.Presumably for high magnification macro its manual via a bellows or other manual device , like a focus rail. Any suggestions on focus rails, it would be nice if Sony added this facility via a firmware update, loads of other manufacturers have this feature - in the meantime I need to research and buy a good focus rail?

I will keep an eye o this thread, as Ive been looking into stacking recently myself. Ive got a rail, but not used it yet.

I too have been vigilant on the subject over recent times.
More a focus bracketing option (for stacking inpost) than a focus stcking (in camera).
I have nothing to report, but I would have thought a firmware and/or Imaging Edge mobile app update would be in order.
This would be useful beyond macro too.
I had seen some info on the subject regarding remote SDK. Surely some clever coder could come up with an app to control the camera to achieve this.
I did come across an article a while back where someone developed a bit of code to use the imaging edge pc app (or earlier version of it - remote somthing) automating it to take multiple images and increment the focus setting.
I dont have the skills, but expect someone does, rather than waiting for Sony to bring it on.

There is a bracketing app that you can download into camera, it only takes 3 shots but you can adjust the focus step to small, medium, larger. It will also, i think bracket for exposure, aperture, shutter speed and flash.

It's a paid for app at £3.99

I find the focus stack a bit fiddly, you have to preset the initial focus and have the right camera settings, and i can never remember if it needs setting to front, back or middle! I doesn't stack into one final shot, so you end up with 3 photos.

But not very expensive if you want to try it.

I've seen examples of focus stacking and have read various descriptions of how it is done but so far have made no attempt to do it myself. When and if Sony does eventually implement it in-camera, then I'll try it, but otherwise I'll just hold off.....

There is a bracketing app that you can download into camera, it only takes 3 shots but you can adjust the focus step to small, medium, larger. It will also, i think bracket for exposure, aperture, shutter speed and flash.

It's a paid for app at £3.99

I find the focus stack a bit fiddly, you have to preset the initial focus and have the right camera settings, and i can never remember if it needs setting to front, back or middle! I doesn't stack into one final shot, so you end up with 3 photos.

But not very expensive if you want to try it.

Play memories apps not installable to A7R,s
I had installed focus bracketing app on A6300 but not great

Having come from Nikon recently where focus stacking was a breeze, i.e the Z6, D850 etc had the facility to set up in camera, how does everyone stack with Sony A7/9 series.Presumably for high magnification macro its manual via a bellows or other manual device , like a focus rail. Any suggestions on focus rails, it would be nice if Sony added this facility via a firmware update, loads of other manufacturers have this feature - in the meantime I need to research and buy a good focus rail?
Hi i use a Neewer focus rail and it has given me some very good results. And i also use Affinity Photo for stacking the photos

Same experience coming from Olympus. Do not quite understand why Sony has not added these features. I will continue to work with focus rail, but I am not that great at it yet.

I focus stack in Affinity Photo (list price $US 50, you can routinely purchase it for $US 25). (I have no affiliation with Serif)

I ditched Adobe for Serif's Affinity Apps and Capture One Pro.

Following are some videos on how to focus stack in AP.

Last edited:
I agree with KCH ditched Adobe and use CP1 Pro for Sony and Affinity Photo, i find it a great combo, and focus stacking in Affinity is a breeze

Interesting that the Canon R5 has focus bracketing built in. Maybe that will push Sony to add this feature? Here is hoping. I have used a focusing rail, but find it clunky and at times hard to control.

I focus stack in Affinity Photo (list price $US 50, you can routinely purchase it for $US 25). (I have no affiliation with Serif)

I ditched Adobe for Serif's Affinity Apps and Capture One Pro.

Following are some videos on how to focus stack in AP.

Same here. Affinity Photo takes the prize. I mostly use Lightroom now to organize images.

Focuss stacked in affinity

Attachments

• DSC04492_merge.jpg
    DSC04492_merge.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 78
For those that have the Sony bluetooth remote (RMT-P1BT) there turns out to be a way to do focus stacking really easily. Not sure what all camera bodies this works for but it works for a Sony A7Riv. On that remote there are - and + buttons that can either control zoom or focus by a switch on the side. If you set up your lens in autofocus and the camera body in manual focus, the remote will allow you to adjust the focus with the -/+ buttons. A simple process is to focus the the closest distance, take a picture, tap the + button a few times, take a picture, etc. Still a manual method and not as quick as the fully automated way, but much more controlled than using the focus ring on the lens.

Back