Full time DMF

Pozos

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Wells Jacobson
I have a new Sony 70-200 GM OSS ii and shoot with an A1. I do not use back button focus and choose to release with the shutter button.I don't understand Full Time DMF. When I auto focus and then, with Full Time DMF on and the shutter button half pressed, rotate the focus ring manual focus seems to be engaged for a moment but almost immediately goes back to autofocus. I have not released the half press on the shutter button. Does Full time DMF not work with hand hold shooting?
Thanks so much if you can clarify my fuzzy brain.

I suspect you are on AF-C. I have had that experience with that lens on an A1. Switch to AF-S and it should be fine.

You can focus manually just by turning the ring, and even get a shot with the chosen manual focus, but the moment you stop turning the focus ring, AF kicks back in - that's what I experience.

Not saying that's how it should work, just saying that's my experience of it.

You are correct. It works well as soon as I am on single and not continuous autofocus. But I am almost always in continuous AF and for a bird behind a blade of grass or such I don't want to take the camera from my eye to switch to single AF. I found on line ( from Mark Galer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Suc21klIPTM) a method that works wonderfully. I set up AEL button to recall custom hold 1 and and as I have this set up when I press AEL the camera auto focuses and as soon as I touch the focus ring it goes into magnification mode so I can obtain critical focus and then I half press shutter to exit magnification so I can compose and then shoot.
I appreciate your thoughtful reply.

All my lenses with DMF will provide me the convenience of auto toggling to manual especially on subjects that hide within the leaves on macro. What I do is that I have a hot key to toggle to manual/AF, so once I'm happy with the manual focusing, I'll hit this button, take the photo so that my AFC doesn't kicks in to focus something else. Once I'm done shooting, I hit the hot key again so that I can continue tracking or shoot others.

I have set the C1 to toggle between manuel and autofocus. Then I can stay in continuous autofocus. Also I have set the C2 to toggle between aperatur and exposure compensation on the front wheel.

Back