Gimbal for 200-600mm for wildlife/birds?

ktchua

Newcomer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Kien C
Country
United States
City/State
California
Hi does anyone use gimbal for 200-600mm lens? It's not as heavy as the 600mm or 400mm prime but I've got a shoulder injury and hoping to use a monopod instead of a tripod. I thought a gimbal head might be useful.

If you plan to use a monopod I suggest the Wimberley monogimbal. It’s very reasonably priced and works great. I replaced my RRS monopod head with this less expensive one and I like it much better. I use it with a9ii, 200-600 and 1.4x.

If you plan to use a monopod I suggest the Wimberley monogimbal. It’s very reasonably priced and works great. I replaced my RRS monopod head with this less expensive one and I like it much better. I use it with a9ii, 200-600 and 1.4x.
Jane, Is it the MH-100, and have you considered the SK-100?

I was looking at RRS as well and then thinking of the ProMediaGear Tomahawk GT1.

Last edited:
I got the wimberley monogimbal in today so as soon as I get to test it I’ll update you. Looked like a good option from the big bulky gimbals.

Hi does anyone use gimbal for 200-600mm lens? It's not as heavy as the 600mm or 400mm prime but I've got a shoulder injury and hoping to use a monopod instead of a tripod. I thought a gimbal head might be useful.
Waiting for birds for hours even with the lighter 200-600mm could sag your shoulders and back
Thus I usually carry my carbon tripod with me along with the beautifully made Leofoto PG-1 Gimbal to rest my gear and also give my shots a bit more stability
The PG-1 could cost a little more than average but is the ultimate one: light, easy to operate, sturdy
I've used other Gimbals and none of them came close to the PG-1

Update with the Wimberley Monogimbal. This thing is super nice and is smooth as butter. You would think the offset would be awkward but you naturally hold the camera and lens and push towards the monopod. I’m very happy with it so far. I have it paired with the Sirui p306 monopod and it’s super lightweight. I don’t think it will be any problem to carry this setup for a several mile hike. Also, the way the offset is, your camera and lens lays across your back with the weight on your back so the monopod is not digging in your shoulders. I would highly recommend this setup for anyone.
018E24FC-8D9C-438D-99C9-723BB4B9DFA0.jpeg
8EE392DF-F31C-4E55-B95A-BDE6C5E314A4.jpeg
0AF1B366-0BB8-4571-8E20-FF7988D853E5.jpeg

Update with the Wimberley Monogimbal. This thing is super nice and is smooth as butter. You would think the offset would be awkward but you naturally hold the camera and lens and push towards the monopod. I’m very happy with it so far. I have it paired with the Sirui p306 monopod and it’s super lightweight. I don’t think it will be any problem to carry this setup for a several mile hike. Also, the way the offset is, your camera and lens lays across your back with the weight on your back so the monopod is not digging in your shoulders. I would highly recommend this setup for anyone. View attachment 1018View attachment 1019View attachment 1020
Wow thanks for the photo. Really helps to visualize and yes my concern about the offset and not being a more "complete" gimbal. Which Sirui is that? Do you like it?

I like the proMedia GearKatana Junior. It is a bit smaller, but has great reaction and is incredibly smooth.
Thanks! I was thinking of the Promediagear Tomahawk G1 (which requires existing ball head on tripod) but this Katana Junior seems more "complete". But do you find it cumbersome to switch it out for a ball head when you need the tripod without the gimbal?

Waiting for birds for hours even with the lighter 200-600mm could sag your shoulders and back
Thus I usually carry my carbon tripod with me along with the beautifully made Leofoto PG-1 Gimbal to rest my gear and also give my shots a bit more stability
The PG-1 could cost a little more than average but is the ultimate one: light, easy to operate, sturdy
I've used other Gimbals and none of them came close to the PG-1
Thanks Dee! Ive seen your great work everywhereI've heard great things about leofoto PG-1, and I'm trying to narrow down between this and the pro media gear's tomahawk G1 or katana junior.
Do you know these other two?

Also given your experience is it even practical to hike with big tripod or do you think I can get away with the Peak Design Carbon tripod or a monopod plus one of those gimbal above?

I use the Wimberley II gimbal on an old Gitzo and it works really well for my purposes. The 200-600mm is just a bit too large and awkward for me to handle as a carry-around or hand-holdable lens and the gimbal and tripod take care of that quite nicely for me!

I use the Wimberley II gimbal on an old Gitzo and it works really well for my purposes. The 200-600mm is just a bit too large and awkward for me to handle as a carry-around or hand-holdable lens and the gimbal and tripod take care of that quite nicely for me!
Thanks much for your suggestions. Gitzo is quite expensive but which model do you have?

I wish I could remember! I bought it about 20 years ago and the thing doesn't seem to have any indication on it of which model it is.... It's carbon fibre and nice and sturdy.....

Wow thanks for the photo. Really helps to visualize and yes my concern about the offset and not being a more "complete" gimbal. Which Sirui is that? Do you like it?
You are welcome. That is the Sirui p306 monopod.

Update with the Wimberley Monogimbal. This thing is super nice and is smooth as butter. You would think the offset would be awkward but you naturally hold the camera and lens and push towards the monopod. I’m very happy with it so far. I have it paired with the Sirui p306 monopod and it’s super lightweight. I don’t think it will be any problem to carry this setup for a several mile hike. Also, the way the offset is, your camera and lens lays across your back with the weight on your back so the monopod is not digging in your shoulders. I would highly recommend this setup for anyone. View attachment 1018View attachment 1019View attachment 1020
Great to see the photos and how it fits on - I must admit I wasn't sure about a side fitting gimbal but it's nice and compact.

Another vote for the Wimberley Monogimbal. Have mine on a Feisol CM-1471.

Thanks! I was thinking of the Promediagear Tomahawk G1 (which requires existing ball head on tripod) but this Katana Junior seems more "complete". But do you find it cumbersome to switch it out for a ball head when you need the tripod without the gimbal?
No, it's not hard.

Attachments

• Tilt Head.jpg
    Tilt Head.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 29
The Flexshooter looks pretty interesting...

Dan of Shuttermuse.com has one to review.

Back