Godox + A7iii - Tight Fit

Cuppa

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Cuppa
I just received my Godox V860iiiS in the mail, & am only just checking it out to get an initial understanding of it's functions. First thing is to attach it to my A7iii. I have managed to do this but it is a very tight fit in the A7iii's hotshoe. I have seen comments online about this very tight/snug fit, but nothing about the ways to improve this. Basically I'm worried I'll break something when sliding the flash into the hot shoe. And no I don't have the locking ring in the locked position when putting the flash on the camera. It was obviously on properly as the camera triggered the flash, even without the lock ring being tightened down!

Anyone here with same camera & flash? Do you just accept the tight fit & take great care when fitting the flash or have you successfully modified the flash mount to slide it in & out more easily. If you have modified it how did you do it? I don't want to wreck it! OR does the mount loosen up a bit with use?

The Godox XT2 trigger I bought has the same mounting, & whilst also a snug fit seems fractionally easier to mount & dismount. This may be because of it's much smaller size & weight - the V860iii being much taller adds to my fear of inadvertent breakage due to the extra 'leverage' factor.

Hi Cuppa -- Brand new forum member here. Saw your question and thought I'd provide a quick reply. The tight fit seems to have been documented pretty broadly as well as the tendency for breaks of the Godox hot shoe. I have the A7M3 and lots of Godox equipment, and they all have a tight fit. I've read a post in another forum about a replacement hot shoe base for the Godox equipment that is made of metal rather than plastic and supposedly has a better fit. It's a minor installation issue that has a YouTube "how to". Looks pretty simple. I order one of the replacement hot shoes from Amazon and will install it in the next few days. Amazon had more than one vendor of the replacement hot shoe, I'll let you check it out for yourself.

Hope this helps. .......... R

Hi Cuppa -- Brand new forum member here. Saw your question and thought I'd provide a quick reply. The tight fit seems to have been documented pretty broadly as well as the tendency for breaks of the Godox hot shoe. I have the A7M3 and lots of Godox equipment, and they all have a tight fit. I've read a post in another forum about a replacement hot shoe base for the Godox equipment that is made of metal rather than plastic and supposedly has a better fit. It's a minor installation issue that has a YouTube "how to". Looks pretty simple. I order one of the replacement hot shoes from Amazon and will install it in the next few days. Amazon had more than one vendor of the replacement hot shoe, I'll let you check it out for yourself.

Pics or it never happened!

I think as you say, it seems to be across the board. Even my little 350S is a snug fit. Please do tell us how it goes, and welcome aboard.

Hi HAWK, ta, like Brownie I'll look forward to see how you go with it. Sadly in Australia the price seems somewhat higher at Aus$50+ (approx US$32) & I think if this works well for you I'll have to find an alternative to Amazon as they use courier services which cannot deliver to my remote Australian location. Australia Post or nothing, & have asked Amazon before who said 'Can't guarantee Auspost'. :(

Attachments

• screenshot_1447.jpg
    screenshot_1447.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 46
Same on V860iiS and V860iiiS other than the screw down rather than 'locking collar'?

I just received my Godox V860iiiS in the mail, & am only just checking it out to get an initial understanding of it's functions. First thing is to attach it to my A7iii. I have managed to do this but it is a very tight fit in the A7iii's hotshoe. I have seen comments online about this very tight/snug fit, but nothing about the ways to improve this. Basically I'm worried I'll break something when sliding the flash into the hot shoe. And no I don't have the locking ring in the locked position when putting the flash on the camera. It was obviously on properly as the camera triggered the flash, even without the lock ring being tightened down!

Anyone here with same camera & flash? Do you just accept the tight fit & take great care when fitting the flash or have you successfully modified the flash mount to slide it in & out more easily. If you have modified it how did you do it? I don't want to wreck it! OR does the mount loosen up a bit with use?

The Godox XT2 trigger I bought has the same mounting, & whilst also a snug fit seems fractionally easier to mount & dismount. This may be because of it's much smaller size & weight - the V860iii being much taller adds to my fear of inadvertent breakage due to the extra 'leverage' factor.
I had the same problem. So I stocked up on parts. I also had problems with battery chargers. Then I changed to Neewer.

Well, life happens. I didn't install that metal replacement connector that I linked above until much later. The installation was straightforward, and it works well. It also fits tighter than I like, but it does seem to be getting better (looser) with time in use. I'll be ordering another one for a second V860.

I'm actually more worried about the hot shoe on the camera than the connector on the GoDox. The V860 is a sweet speedlight, but it sure does have some cantilevered weight hanging on the camera hot shoe. So far so good, but I baby the whole rig and try not to torque the hot shoe. And take my time installing and removing the flash from the camera to try not to force it any more than I have to.

Back