Hello one and all.

@it

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Many thanks for letting me join the community, have a a6000 with a kit lens and wishing to get as much info and hopefully to advise given time.

Hello once again.

@it

Welcome!

Welcome

Welcome to the Forum.

Thank you for the warmth I’m feeling already, I’ll no doubt start a thread although probably been asked already on what lens to upgrade from the kit lens, one I’m always drawn to is the Sigma 16mm, genuinely want an all round, night, landscape, portrait lens.

Thoughts or is there no such thing?

Thank you for the warmth I’m feeling already, I’ll no doubt start a thread although probably been asked already on what lens to upgrade from the kit lens, one I’m always drawn to is the Sigma 16mm, genuinely want an all round, night, landscape, portrait lens.

Ooh I love APSC lens discussions!

That Sigma 16 is a great lens: sharp, wide aperture, and short minimal focusing distance. Just be sure its the focal length you really want. Do you normally take pictures on your kit lens at 16mm? If that works for you, go for it. If not, ask yourself, what focal length do you use most often?

What I see a lot of on the a6400 Facebook groups is that buying one of the Sigma trio (16/30/56) is like a bokeh gateway drug and eventually people want to get all 3 lenses LOL. People say they love the 16mm for landscape and night sky, while the 56mm is praised as the ultimate portrait lens.

In my opinion, If you want an all-round lens, you want a zoom.
If you want something with large aperture, you only have 2 choices:
  • The Tamron 17-70 f2.8 is heavy, but it has optical stabilization.
  • The Sigma 18-55 f2.8 is compact, but has no stabilization. I think its cheaper too.

If you were only interested in daytime photography you have more options: Sony 18-135, Sony 18-105, or Tamron 18-300... etc

Welcome! I use an a6300 and pair it with an 18-105 F4, it is an APS-C lens and the range it gives is just perfect!

Back