Hellos Everyone...Shooter41 in Wichita, Kansas, USA headed to Kansas City to shoot with Big Boys!

Shooter41

Followers
Following
Name
Don Marler
I just got the news that I have been granted the previlege of driving to from Wichita, Kansas to Kansas City (191miles) to take images of the outdoor soccer team Sporting KC in Kansas City, Kansas on 9-26-21. After taking pictures for the indoor soccer team, Wichita Wings, for forty-two years, this will be my first time shooting outdoor soccer. There will be world famous Sports Photographers from all over the world there. I just got a new Sony A7RIV and have a Sony 70-200mm; F2.8 lens that I like and plan to use. Later I after I get comfortable, if I go back I will use my Sony 400mm; F2.8 prime lens. I am retiring my Canon EOS 6D Mark II for soccere gigs. But, I need advice on how to adjust the settings on my new Sony. I would like to practice at the local soccer fields in Wichita during this next week before I make the drive to Kansas City to shoot the game. There are many options to choose from in the menu and the settings are much different from my Canon. HELP!

I just got the news that I have been granted the previlege of driving to from Wichita, Kansas to Kansas City (191miles) to take images of the outdoor soccer team Sporting KC in Kansas City, Kansas on 9-26-21. After taking pictures for the indoor soccer team, Wichita Wings, for forty-two years, this will be my first time shooting outdoor soccer. There will be world famous Sports Photographers from all over the world there. I just got a new Sony A7RIV and have a Sony 70-200mm; F2.8 lens that I like and plan to use. Later I after I get comfortable, if I go back I will use my Sony 400mm; F2.8 prime lens. I am retiring my Canon EOS 6D Mark II for soccere gigs. But, I need advice on how to adjust the settings on my new Sony. I would like to practice at the local soccer fields in Wichita during this next week before I make the drive to Kansas City to shoot the game. There are many options to choose from in the menu and the settings are much different from my Canon. HELP!
Welcome to the Forum, Dan. Where are you living these days? Maybe Wichita?

Welcome to the Forum, Dan. Where are you living these days? Maybe Wichita?
Dear Jeff A...
I live in Wichita, Kansas and will be driving 191 miles each way to Kansas City, Kansas next Saturday. I can't wait to make friends with other Sony shooters on "Alpha Shooters." Please tell me more about you.
I need to update the version 1.00 on my Sony ILCE-A7R4 camera and practice with the freshly updated version this coming week. Do you know if the A7R4 can only be updated to 1.10 or can it be updated to 2.0?
Shooter41

Attachments

• COACH DOWNING WORKING OUT WITH HIS PLAYERS.jpg
    COACH DOWNING WORKING OUT WITH HIS PLAYERS.jpg
    605 KB · Views: 21
Is your A7RIV an A model? That’s the one with the newer rear screen (2.something million dots instead of 1.something). Look on the box for ILCE-A7R4A. If it’s an A model then it may already have the current firmware. It is easy to get confused between the older version (ILCE-A7R4) and the A model.

Is your A7RIV an A model? That’s the one with the newer rear screen (2.something million dots instead of 1.something). Look on the box for ILCE-A7R4A. If it’s an A model then it may already have the current firmware. It is easy to get confused between the older version (ILCE-A7R4) and the A model.
Dear AlphaWorld...Both of my A7R4s are just A7R4s without the "A." (I don't have the newer rear screen on either.) I just got help from Sony support loading 1.20 firmware on both as I am preparing to drive to Kansas City, Kansas to photograph the Sporting KC outdoor soccer team with many of the greatest Sports Photographers in the Midwest USA. I am hoping the other Alpha Shooters will suggest the specific camera settings appropriate to start a game that begins at 6:00pm Central time. I need help setting up both camera bodies settings appropriately in that I just switched from a Canon EOS 6D Mark II to get the 61 MG sensor in the Sony A7R4s for soccer. (I realize I will need to check my histograms frequently as the light changes as the sun goes down and the arena lights come on. I will need to make periodic ISO changes to get perfect exposures with the changing lighting. I want to thank everyone in advance for making helpful suggestions. Shooter41

Attachments

• CAPTAIN KEVIN TEN EYCK.jpg
    CAPTAIN KEVIN TEN EYCK.jpg
    478.2 KB · Views: 20
  • JAMES TOGBAH FOR WEB.jpg
    JAMES TOGBAH FOR WEB.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 22
I was reacting to “I just got a new A7RIV”, in case you did not know that there were two versions of the A7RIV, with different firmware versions. There was someone not long ago very confused about trying to install a higher number firmware onto an A model.

Welcome Don and thanks for joining up here. Sorry for the slow reply too. How are you getting on with the a7R IV now? Like @AlphaWorld mentioned above, if you have the new a7RIV "A" version then I believe the firmware is version 1.00 and this does not need upgrading as it includes everything found in version 1.20 that is for the previous none "A" version. It's a shame that Sony didn't keep the firmware revisions the same as this is already causing a bit of confusion!

Welcome Don and thanks for joining up here. Sorry for the slow reply too. How are you getting on with the a7R IV now? Like @AlphaWorld mentioned above, if you have the new a7RIV "A" version then I believe the firmware is version 1.00 and this does not need upgrading as it includes everything found in version 1.20 that is for the previous none "A" version. It's a shame that Sony didn't keep the firmware revisions the same as this is already causing a bit of confusion!
Dear Tim...I now own three Sony AlPHA bodies. I just bought a used a7RIV and it has the latest firmware on it. What a joy after retiring my Canon camera and lenses to buy Sony Alpha cameras and lenses. I am taking full advantage of the large sensor in the Sony Alpha, both during indoor soccer season as well as Botanica Gardens wild birds and the Wichita Symphony performances. I think the Alpha Shooters Forum is GREAT! Shooter41

Attachments

• 8-20-22 FLEUR AT BOTANICA IMAGE #1.jpg
    8-20-22 FLEUR AT BOTANICA IMAGE #1.jpg
    516.8 KB · Views: 21
Dear Tim...I now own three Sony AlPHA bodies. I just bought a used a7RIV and it has the latest firmware on it. What a joy after retiring my Canon camera and lenses to buy Sony Alpha cameras and lenses. I am taking full advantage of the large sensor in the Sony Alpha, both during indoor soccer season as well as Botanica Gardens wild birds and the Wichita Symphony performances. I think the Alpha Shooters Forum is GREAT! Shooter41
Glad to hear that you are now getting along with your Sony gear Don! Also glad to hear that you like the forum here! :) Lovely shot too!

Back