Help on focus tracking

GregS

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
I wonder if anyone could give me some pointers on effective focus tracking on the A7R IV.

Normally, I'm landscape shooter and use point and back-button focus. Landscapes generally don't move. Last weekend I had the opportunity to shoot a local ski race and I struggled a bit to get the proper subject detected, and then tracked. I tried the focus modes of both "tracking, expanded spot" and "wide". The former seemed to work better. Once the camera found the skier it was rock solid and tracked well but, for example, at the finish line where there were several, socially distanced people around I would sometimes have to wait for the camera to find the subject that is in the middle of the frame.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

You may be running into the limits of the A7rIV tracking capability and might be seeing where an A9 or A9II is superior. That said, I have not been able to leave my A7rIV body at home when I shoot some high school sports. I am not sure if you can, but I know on the A9 I have registered the face of the main athlete I am shooting and believe that to help some when there is much traffic....might all be my imagination though, but might be worth a try if possible to register before the race. Just a thought....

There's an algorithm for what counts as track worthy - I don't use the feature but believe the subject should be central, closer and distinct in colour and pattern.

I wonder if anyone could give me some pointers on effective focus tracking on the A7R IV.

.... Once the camera found the skier it was rock solid and tracked well but, for example, at the finish line where there were several, socially distanced people around....
Any suggestions?
Hi Greg,
If not already, try setting “AF Track Sensitivity” to Standard. Try with Wide first, then Extended.

Menu – Cam1 – page6 – AF Track Sens – Standard

When set to Sensitive or Responsive you may lose Lock-On the original target when target in proximity to other people or objects. If a non-target gets closer to cam than the target or nears center-frame (sometimes) --- the hunt engine may lock-on the unwanted non-target.
(I tried putting super-glue of the PDAF tracking engine to make it sticky, but that didn't work) :sneaky:

If this doesn’t work, try Touch panel/pad function. If unfamiliar with this, I can send you the menu dialog.

But remember, Lock-on tracking is significantly challenged with/when:
  • Subjects with no contrast, such as the blue sky or white walls
  • Situations where multiple subjects are at different distances within the focus area
  • Subjects with repeating patterns, such as building exteriors
  • Bright or backlit subjects
  • Shiny subjects, such as water surfaces, and glossy subjects
  • Fast moving subjects
Good luck!

Last edited:
If you set Focus Priority to AF rather than Release it only fires when the camera thinks its got a lock. That reduces culling and instructs you in how the camera thinks.

You may be running into the limits of the A7rIV tracking capability and might be seeing where an A9 or A9II is superior. That said, I have not been able to leave my A7rIV body at home when I shoot some high school sports. I am not sure if you can, but I know on the A9 I have registered the face of the main athlete I am shooting and believe that to help some when there is much traffic....might all be my imagination though, but might be worth a try if possible to register before the race. Just a thought....
Thanks. What I got there was "go by an A9..." 😄

There's an algorithm for what counts as track worthy - I don't use the feature but believe the subject should be central, closer and distinct in colour and pattern.
Thanks. I was wondering that because it would sometimes grab a closer person and it was heavily forested so perhaps not seeing the forest for the trees (literally.)

Hi Greg,
If not already, try setting “AF Track Sensitivity” to Standard. Try with Wide first, then Extended.

Menu – Cam1 – page6 – AF Track Sens – Standard

When set to Sensitive or Responsive you may lose Lock-On the original target when target in proximity to other people or objects. If a non-target gets closer to cam than the target or nears center-frame (sometimes) --- the hunt engine may lock-on the unwanted non-target.
(I tried putting super-glue of the PDAF tracking engine to make it sticky, but that didn't work) :sneaky:

If this doesn’t work, try Touch panel/pad function. If unfamiliar with this, I can send you the menu dialog.

But remember, Lock-on tracking is significantly challenged with/when:
  • Subjects with no contrast, such as the blue sky or white walls
  • Situations where multiple subjects are at different distances within the focus area
  • Subjects with repeating patterns, such as building exteriors
  • Bright or backlit subjects
  • Shiny subjects, such as water surfaces, and glossy subjects
  • Fast moving subjects
Good luck!
Thanks so much. I'll check my settings as you describe. Not a big fan of the touch-sensitive since I needed my eye to the viewfinder anyway.
Good info for the next time. Thanks again.

.....Not a big fan of the touch-sensitive since I needed my eye to the viewfinder anyway.....
That might be a misconception for people who haven't tried it. I ALWAYS use EVF, never the monitor. After initially going into touch screen mode, I then place my eye on viewfinder where it stays glued. If I want to focus-lock or change focus-lock on another target, I simply (it's very easy & convenient) touch the monitor surface (pad) with my thumb while my eye remains still glued on EVF.

When my thumb touches monitor surface (pad), a floating "X" appears in EVF. Then I simply move the X crosshairs across the EVF screen with my thumb on monitor pad, to superimpose on top of new target (or old target again if AF fails by falling out of Focus Area. It's incredibly easy. Before I did the research and tried diff methods, I too hated using the monitor, since I'm a devout EVF guy!

But if BB AF-ON w Extended isn't doing the AF Tracking well, I immediately go to touch screen and resume using the EVF as usual. And it is so EASY to use the thumb on monitor pad while eye is glued to EVF. And remember, this tip is coming from a hardcore, diehard, ardent devotee of EVF. I ONLY use monitor for reviewing/playbacks, but NEVER for shooting.

That might be a misconception for people who haven't tried it. I ALWAYS use EVF, never the monitor. After initially going into touch screen mode, I then place my eye on viewfinder where it stays glued. If I want to focus-lock or change focus-lock on another target, I simply (it's very easy & convenient) touch the monitor surface (pad) with my thumb while my eye remains still glued on EVF.

When my thumb touches monitor surface (pad), a floating "X" appears in EVF. Then I simply move the X crosshairs across the EVF screen with my thumb on monitor pad, to superimpose on top of new target (or old target again if AF fails by falling out of Focus Area. It's incredibly easy. Before I did the research and tried diff methods, I too hated using the monitor, since I'm a devout EVF guy!

But if BB AF-ON w Extended isn't doing the AF Tracking well, I immediately go to touch screen and resume using the EVF as usual. And it is so EASY to use the thumb on monitor pad while eye is glued to EVF. And remember, this tip is coming from a hardcore, diehard, ardent devotee of EVF. I ONLY use monitor for reviewing/playbacks, but NEVER for shooting.
Very interesting Mike have never tried that but sounds great , are there any specific menu setting to set up to enable it as having a very quick play I could not replicate what you describe ?

Good info, you are right I did not know you could use the touch screen when the EVF is active. I always use the joystick.
Thanks!

Very interesting Mike have never tried that but sounds great , are there any specific menu setting to set up to enable it as having a very quick play I could not replicate what you describe ?

Below are snapshots from my notes for menu settings. Let me know if you have any questions.

Touch-1.JPG

Touch-2.JPG

Touch-3.JPG

Video tutorial describing the Touch Screen function using the EVF:

Touch Screen using EVF tutorial

Last edited:
Back