Followers
Following
Name
Jack Wu
Country
United States
City/State
Fillmore, CA
I need help finding the right tripod. I currently use a Peak Design Travel Tripod for everyday shooting and had been very happy with it. I love the fact that it is so compact, lightweight, and easy to store when traveling. However, I recently acquired the Sony FE 200-600 and found that the tripod is too light to handle such a beast. With a little bit of wind, I could not stabilize the tripod enough to take a steady shot. Perhaps it's my skill that's lacking and not the tripod? And if the tripod is too light, which tripod would you suggest that is not so out of the range in $$. Any tips or suggestions?

Are you using the little hook to hang your bag for stability? I use the CF Peak tripod all the time - mostly for my Fuji GFX but once on a while with the big Sony zoom.

Most of the time I use it without the center column and it works well in everyday shooting situations. I suppose it depends upon what you’re shooting. I have the 200-600 for BIF / action shooting and usually don’t bother with a tripod. If you shoot without the center column you can’t use the hook though.

Also consider a decent gimbal if you're not using one, and how to use it. The 200-600 is a big lens and needs to be stabilised.

Also consider a decent gimbal if you're not using one, and how to use it. The 200-600 is a big lens and needs to be stabilised.
Wow. I didn't even think about a gimbal. Thanks for the idea.

Hi Jack, I don't know the use you give to the lens, but usually it's mainly for sports or nature. In both cases, you need some mobility. Have you considered a monopod?

Back