Hey from San Diego! New to the Sony Alpha line

JCT

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Jason
Hey everyone! I'm from San Diego and have had my a6400 for about 10 months now. I bought the camera to take pictures of my two kids' sports activities. Our son just graduated this summer and our daughter is a junior. He wrestled while she plays field hockey and lacrosse. While my Samsung phone takes pretty good photos, it wasn't up to the task for taking pictures of field sports. After some research I decided to go with the a6400 with the 18-135 kit lens. It worked well but I couldn't adequately capture some of the longer field shots, so last spring I picked up a used Sony 55-210. It worked pretty well over the summer.....but I decided to forgo a cell phone upgrade this year and picked up a used Tamron 150-500 monster. I used it for the first time yesterday and was pretty happy with the results. I share the photos with the players and parents and they've been pretty happy.

Hey everyone! I'm from San Diego and have had my a6400 for about 10 months now. I bought the camera to take pictures of my two kids' sports activities. Our son just graduated this summer and our daughter is a junior. He wrestled while she plays field hockey and lacrosse. While my Samsung phone takes pretty good photos, it wasn't up to the task for taking pictures of field sports. After some research I decided to go with the a6400 with the 18-135 kit lens. It worked well but I couldn't adequately capture some of the longer field shots, so last spring I picked up a used Sony 55-210. It worked pretty well over the summer.....but I decided to forgo a cell phone upgrade this year and picked up a used Tamron 150-500 monster. I used it for the first time yesterday and was pretty happy with the results. I share the photos with the players and parents and they've been pretty happy.

Welcome! I love SD, great place for some sunset pictures and such a nice climate for sports and hiking. My cousin even did hanggliding when he was at UCSD. Pretty rad place :cool:
The 18-135 is the jack of all trades, so versatile, so portable, but not bright enough for indoors or portraits, and not long enough for sports/wildlife. I think the 70-350 would have been a great choice for you, but you already got a monster zoom, so I'm glad it worked for you.

I also have the 6400 and 18-135 lens. Great combo. The 6400, like the 6000 was just one of the Sony camera's in that range that just ''clicked' so to speak... The 18-135 lens is very versatile and a great family-use carry around.

I also have the 6400 and 18-135 lens. Great combo. The 6400, like the 6000 was just one of the Sony camera's in that range that just ''clicked' so to speak... The 18-135 lens is very versatile and a great family-use carry around.
I do like the 18-135 and plan on hanging on it!

Welcome Jason and thanks for joining up here. Glad to hear that you are happy with the a6400 + Tamron 150-500 combo, that's definitely a nice amount of reach :)

Welcome to the forum….

Back