Hey Spud, or anyone else with A-Mount experience

Welcome to the New Sony Alpha Shooters Community
Our community was only launched in August 2020 but is already thriving thanks to many amazing and helpful members. We'd love to welcome you on board too!
Join Now

Brownie

Well Known Member
Original poster
Followers
Following
Oct 22, 2021
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
Pushed back from the 25th/27th to the 29th.

If anyone offers you 'standard' shipping on an eBay item, tell them no. :mad:

Last edited:

Brownie

Well Known Member
Original poster
Followers
Following
Oct 22, 2021
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
The TC came today. Optically it's not awful, but it doesn't work. The camera doesn't recognize the lens, it kicks itself into manual focus. It won't read the aperture, although it seems to change when I turn the dial. both the lens and the TC are 5-pin, I don't know why it wouldn't work. I only had time to try it on the 75-300. I will try it tomorrow on another lens, but there isn't much point if it only works with shorter lenses. On the other hand, for the $25 I paid, if I only use it in MF with the 500, not that big of a deal.

This is the 75-300 at full extension. IQ suffers but could be much worse.

DSC01826 by telecast, on Flickr

Brownie

Well Known Member
Original poster
Followers
Following
Oct 22, 2021
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
So...

Did some reading at Dyxum and learned that this is pretty common. For some reason AF and aperture reporting using a TC is fairly sporadic, depending on the TC and for some reason even the lens. Some may work and some not. It doesn't depend on screw drive or in-lens AF, also doesn't depend on the camera, the same thing was an issue with A-Mount bodies.

I guess I approached it correctly as a $25 experiment. It doesn't appear that there's anything wrong with the TC, and it is brand new. I will be interested to see if IQ is even remotely acceptable on the 500 AF. Heck, the AF might even work with that lens.

Reactions: spudhead

Brownie

Well Known Member
Original poster
Followers
Following
Oct 22, 2021
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
Good grief. It took 5 days for it to travel 25 miles give or take. It's supposed to be here tomorrow, but the latest update shows it still in California. I won't be surprised if they push back delivery again to next week. I am hoping it was put on an airplane this morning and is currently awaiting scanning at the local distribution center.

I messaged the seller and suggested he rethink his future shipping choices. He said it would've cost more. No kidding, eh? I would gladly dropped another $20 to get it here in a reasonable amount of time. It's probably being manhandled by postal employees of two countries. Yeesh!

Hopefully it gets here in one piece. The best the seller can hope for right now is no feedback.

Capture.JPG

spudhead

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Oct 28, 2020
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
Good grief. It took 5 days for it to travel 25 miles give or take. It's supposed to be here tomorrow, but the latest update shows it still in California. I won't be surprised if they push back delivery again to next week. I am hoping it was put on an airplane this morning and is currently awaiting scanning at the local distribution center.

I messaged the seller and suggested he rethink his future shipping choices. He said it would've cost more. No kidding, eh? I would gladly dropped another $20 to get it here in a reasonable amount of time. It's probably being manhandled by postal employees of two countries. Yeesh!

Hopefully it gets here in one piece. The best the seller can hope for right now is no feedback.

View attachment 19756
Wow snail mail

Brownie

Well Known Member
Original poster
Followers
Following
Oct 22, 2021
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
Yesterday was the second delivery date, and the second missed delivery date. The new estimate is: Delayed delivery with no estimate. It made it out of LA to Chicago, and now out of Chicago. Maybe to the local hub by Monday and delivered on Tuesday?

I know no one gives a rat's fat butt, just me being a whiner.

Brownie

Well Known Member
Original poster
Followers
Following
Oct 22, 2021
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
Hooray!!! The lens made it to my hometown post office @ 3:47 a.m. and is on a delivery vehicle.

Of course, perfect for testing an f/8 lens, it would appear I've moved to Jolly Old England, or perhaps the Pacific Northwest!!! :ROFLMAO:

Capture.JPG

Ok, I'll stop picking on you guys now. Michigan is only a few states behind the Pacific Northwest in clouds thanks to the Great Lakes. At least until Summer comes.

Nonetheless, we shall sally forth (weather permitting) and see what this marvel of 1989 technology can do!

spudhead

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Oct 28, 2020
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
good look I was looking at one of the 500 reflex lens here in the uk they are cheap now anyway I will see what your verdict is

Reactions: Brownie

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.