Hi a new wrinklie

John7

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
John Barrett
Hi I have been using a a6000 as a backup camera for years. In my late 70’s the time has come to lose the weight of Canon 5Ds and lenses and be able to walk rather than stagger. I am dyslexic so some oddities creep in to things I type, sorry.

So I added a 6400, 70-350 (still at times wished I had a 800mm on the 7D2) 90macro with the original 16-70mm lenses. I have had three periods of photography, initial using 5X4 camera, with older children a cheap film camera and once retired a number of Canon cameras. I still find much of the Sony system less good I must admit, I was used to a fully protected set of cameras, not a unprotected battery and usb cover to worry about and the only way with the 6000’s of not constantly changing settings in error has been to disable many of the settings! But overall the 6000’s I found were much better than what Canon had even if I am still staggered how expensive much of the Sony equipment is!​

First, welcome to the group. I understand dyslexic very well and am very grateful for spellcheck. But that does not help my reading much, as you know. I am not sure how Sony stacks up in price against the competition other than against Leica. I went through a Leica frenzy last year. Now when I need the photo I take the A7M III with the 24 - 240. This combo protects me against most of my mistakes. I am not sure what the protected vs unprotected camera is. I can assure you I have not yet been disappointed by my previous A7M II or my current A7M III. I am sure the folks on here can iron out any wrinkles you have with your A6400.

Cheers

Last edited:
Welcome! That a6400 with the 70-350 is a nice combo. In fact, I wish I had that lens this week for the full moon!

Welcome John and thank you for joining up here and introducing yourself.. Like Chris said above, the a6400 + 70-350 is a very nice combo and one I use if I want to travel light but still have a decent reach. I've had my a6400 since it launched at the start of 2019 and the lack of weather sealing hasn't proved to be an issue just yet! But I do use other cameras as well, so it's not being abused by the elements on a daily basis.

Welcome John and thank you for joining up here and introducing yourself.. Like Chris said above, the a6400 + 70-350 is a very nice combo and one I use if I want to travel light but still have a decent reach. I've had my a6400 since it launched at the start of 2019 and the lack of weather sealing hasn't proved to be an issue just yet! But I do use other cameras as well, so it's not being abused by the elements on a daily basis.
I was aware of the problems; Lensrentals found Sony gear had the worst protection (and resulting problems) of all the stuff they rented out. I remember one camera was written off due to the renter putting it down in a wet patch and the water went in via the battery cover (it was a full frame camera so cost them a lot as they had to pay). It was amazing how far the water spread in the camera. But even with canon I have always not trusted sealing and used Storm Jackets against weather and dust/sand. But I must admit its disappointing when Sony seal there flash battery and usb covers but not on cameras like the 6400. But the problems are easy to cover even the bold trick of a plastic bag gives a lot of protection.

I've never thought of my Sony cameras as designed to handle inclement weather or owner stupidity, for those moments I carry a GoPro :ROFLMAO:
In all seriousness, if I wanted a real weatherproof camera, I would have bought an Olympus E-M5 Mark3. I can also say from personal experience that Olympus Tough TG-6 is an excellent waterproof point & shoot camera because I had a previous generation and used to take that to sea with me on my kayak.

So yeah I love my a6400, but it sits in a sealed bag if its raining or its too dark to get decent pictures.

Indeed, I have to step back for what you can do with Canon 7D2 and 5D's. Out side of really bad weather I would use the 7D2 with a sutable lense in almost amything. I had seen a review where the reviwere droped it into a pond and then used it with, they said no problems. I would never do somthing like that, but on occations my 7D2 (bourght within weeks of relese so geting on now) got really wet. Lensrentals strip down of a 7d2 found it better protected than any camera they had vere looked at. But I still tried to used a cover when I could.

I regard any and all cameras as delicate electronic instruments. Better overly cautious than careless.

Back