Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Andrew Dawson
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Hello everyone.
I'm fairly new to all this camera stuff. I'm one of those people that jump in and get 'all the gear with no idea'.
I've always like taking photos and currently have a Nikon D 3200 with a Nikor AF-S 18-300mm 1:3.5-6.3G ED lens. And a Sony a6400 with a Sony E 3.5-5.6/PZ 16-50 lens and a Sony 4.5-6.3/55-210 lens. Not got a clue what the 1:3.5-6.3G or 4.5-6.3 means!
I like taking all kinds of pics from nice landscapes to wildlife and my dog.
I'm open to 'Constructive Criticism' on my images because at the end of the day, if I don't know what I'm doing wrong I won't learn! But by the same rule, if they are any good, I welcome those comments also. Couple of images of my dog below. Anyway, thank you and best wishes everyone. Andy
DSC06499.JPG
  • ILCE-6400
  • E PZ 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
  • 50.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 100

DSC04450 (2).JPG
  • ILCE-6400
  • E PZ 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 125

Welcome!

Welcome! I have loved my a6400 since the day I bought it in 2019, even though you'd never guess that from my posts regarding newer cameras. There are some great lenses available for our APSC E-mount, so try not to go too crazy with the gear acquisition haha!

Btw, your dog looks like a wolf in that first photo, very cool!

Thank you.
I'm trying to limit my lens purchases for ones that have a broader zoom function. Hence my 18-300mm for my Nikon. Just need one for my Sony now. Any suggestions would be welcome.
He's a Czechoslovakian Wolfdog! Every time we take him for a walk someone stops us and asks about him or wants a pic. Check out the link below if interested.
Best wishes.
Andy

Thank you.
I'm trying to limit my lens purchases for ones that have a broader zoom function. Hence my 18-300mm for my Nikon. Just need one for my Sony now. Any suggestions would be welcome.
He's a Czechoslovakian Wolfdog! Every time we take him for a walk someone stops us and asks about him or wants a pic. Check out the link below if interested.
Best wishes.
Andy
Wolfdog! Haha I want one! I grew up with German Shepherds and I do miss having a dog (currently have 3 cats, no more animals for us right now lol).

There is an 18-300 for our e-mount, I believe it's by Tamron. A few compromises there, but generally a good all-in-one lens. Personally I'd go with the 70-350 by Sony, but I'm slightly biased because I am very happy with my Tamron 17-70 and the Sony lens would pick up where the Tamron ends. I will probably buy one next year, but right now, my usual photo subject (my 10-week old daughter) sits only a few feet away, so no immediate need.

Welcome again Andy and a big thanks for joining up here and introducing yourself. Your dog is certainly very wolf like! I visited a wolf sanctuary on the border with Wales a few weeks back and he would of blended right in there! If you see something like 4.5-6.3 after a lens this means that it has a variable aperture of F4.5 - F6.3, the F4.5 will be at the wider end of 55mm then when you zoom out to 210mm it will change to F6.3. I'm not entirely sure with the 55-210 at which focal length the aperture will change but you'll see it on the camera display when you zoom in and out.

Back