Hi from Toronto:-)

MarkB

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Mark
Hi everyone. Tim, thanks for the nice welcome note.
I'm on my third Sony APSC, first the NEX5, followed by the A6000, and now the A6600.

I'm thinking of purchasing a Sigma 85mm 1.4 dg dn. From the videos and reviews on the lens consensus is that is very sharp, has beautiful bokeh, and seems to have pretty sever pincushioning. Sigma says that this is easily corrected by in camera correction (jpegs) or in lightroom (raw files).

Would anyone be willing to share their experience with it?

A used 85mm 1.4 GM Any help would sell for the same price as a new Sigma.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Mark😊

Welcome Mark and thanks for joining up here! :) The Sigma 85mm 1.4 DG DN is a full-frame lens, so you'll be looking at an equivalent focal length of around 127mm on the a6600. If distortion is a problem then how about the Sony 85mm F1.8 lens instead? It's actually better at focussing than the GM version.

Welcome Mark! Always good to see more APSC shooters out there!

Welcome Mark and thanks for joining up here! :) The Sigma 85mm 1.4 DG DN is a full-frame lens, so you'll be looking at an equivalent focal length of around 127mm on the a6600. If distortion is a problem then how about the Sony 85mm F1.8 lens instead? It's actually better at focussing than the GM version.
Thanks Timothy. I actually just bought it. I wanted something really sharp with beautiful bokeh and it has both. I also have the sigma 56mm and it's very sharp as well.

Thanks Timothy. I actually just bought it. I wanted something really sharp with beautiful bokeh and it has both. I also have the sigma 56mm and it's very sharp as well.
Congrats on the purchase! :) The Sigma lenses are generally very nice. I have the 30mm F1.4 for my a6400 which is a cracking lens.

I really wish I had purchased that Sigma 56mm instead of the Sigma 16. I find myself covering a lot of family events recently and a dedicated portrait lens wouldn't go unused. Though to be fair, nowadays the Tamron 17-70 is on my camera 90% of the time anyway.

Welcome to the forum Mark, ( sorry for the late welcome) nice to have an almost local shooter near me .. I’m in Orillia…

Back