Hiring an A7r iv

NightBreed

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Ian
Hi everyone, new to here. I am going to be hiring a Sony A7r iv with Sony FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM, FE 24-105mm f/4 G OSS & FE 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 GM OSS plus the 1.4 & 2 x teleconverters over the Christmas period here in the UK. After reading all the posts I am wondering if I have hired the right camera to try out before maybe purchasing (The A7 iii was not available). I will be wanting to try it out in general everyday shots, landscapes, wildlife with some birds in flight like the Red Kites we get in Hertfordshire & reservoirs for wildlife near to where I live. Should I have gone for the A9 (Can't afford A9ii to buy) or the A7r iii?

Thoughts please.

Hi everyone, new to here. I am going to be hiring a Sony A7r iv with Sony FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM, FE 24-105mm f/4 G OSS & FE 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 GM OSS plus the 1.4 & 2 x teleconverters over the Christmas period here in the UK. After reading all the posts I am wondering if I have hired the right camera to try out before maybe purchasing (The A7 iii was not available). I will be wanting to try it out in general everyday shots, landscapes, wildlife with some birds in flight like the Red Kites we get in Hertfordshire & reservoirs for wildlife near to where I live. Should I have gone for the A9 (Can't afford A9ii to buy) or the A7r iii?

Thoughts please.

You've gone for the right camera, without a doubt. The A9 is very much aimed at people who concentrate on birds in flight and other fast moving subjects, whereas the RIV is so much more the all round camera, ideally suited to all of your subjects. It's perfectly capable for birds in flight, just look at some of my posts for evidence of that ( I have some Kite shots on here). I absolutely love it, and I don't think you will be disappointed at all. One thing I will say is it is very demanding of good technique and exposure. I see so many people moaning about noise, but I think it's perfectly excellent, and I hate noisy images, just use centre weighted metering, as pattern, while good, is less reliable. Also bear in mind the 2x will demand great light to work well with the 100 400.

Like @Kevriano said, I think you've gone with the right camera for what you shoot, it's a fantastic all-rounder! Did you use HireACamera? They have some good deals on over the Xmas period.

Like @Kevriano said, I think you've gone with the right camera for what you shoot, it's a fantastic all-rounder! Did you use HireACamera? They have some good deals on over the Xmas period.
Thanks for the reply. I actually used LensesForHire as they are offering 3 weeks free for the price of one week over the Christmas period! So I have all these items for a month for the cost of one week. Why I've gone for 2 x Teleconverters to play around with rather than just the 1.4 tele. I did look at HireACamera but the offer above beat everything else.

You've gone for the right camera, without a doubt. The A9 is very much aimed at people who concentrate on birds in flight and other fast moving subjects, whereas the RIV is so much more the all round camera, ideally suited to all of your subjects. It's perfectly capable for birds in flight, just look at some of my posts for evidence of that ( I have some Kite shots on here). I absolutely love it, and I don't think you will be disappointed at all. One thing I will say is it is very demanding of good technique and exposure. I see so many people moaning about noise, but I think it's perfectly excellent, and I hate noisy images, just use centre weighted metering, as pattern, while good, is less reliable. Also bear in mind the 2x will demand great light to work well with the 100 400.
Thanks for the reply and advice. I only added the 2 x converter because it was such a good deal and cost just try try it out and see how much light I need for the 2 x tele. I think having a camera that will show up any bad techniques is good as it enables you to learn from these mistakes and take better shots. I am now looking forward and good to know that I have chosen right for my current needs. I will have a look at your photos. Many thanks.

Back