Name
Ralph Ernesti
Country
Australia
City/State
Mildura
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I am not sure if this is possible or not but I would love to know.
Is there a way that I can move the Histogram from the bottom right corner to maybe the top left corner?

I find with where it is I have to look down at it and this takes my focus away from what I am after, to check to see how I am set up.
And I think if I could move it to where I mentioned it would work better for me there.
I have looked in the book and youtube but they are just telling me how it works.
To which I think I have got a bettrer understanding of it now and far more than I did a couple of weeks ago.

So any help on this is and will be fully appreciated. And if it has to stay where it is I will just have to make the adjustment to get use to it being there.
Thanks to all.

Do you have time to look at the histogram when framing up wildlife shots, or is it something you look at when you are setting up first and then ignore as you (pun intended) focus on birds and animals? Genuinely curious. I don't use the histogram when shooting, but I look at it when editing RAW files afterwards in Photoshop or Capture one.

I would like to use it more but where it is I find as you have said it's okay on your 1st shot but they you just don't have time to use it again.
And I just thought if it was able to be moved it might help more .
Birding is just not the right thing to try to use this as your time is over too quickly to make it an effective tool.
After the fact not a problem at all. So I will just keep going on set up in the beginning amd then see how I go like I am using it now.
Thanks for your help Chris.

I don't think I helped at all, but I'm here to learn my friend! As I said, I've never had time to refer to it when I do events, as I'm more worried about getting the people in focus, well exposed, and getting the framing right.
On the other hand, I see landscape photographers use the histogram all the time: playing with exposure time to move the histogram curve accordingly, but their subjects are stationary so they have more time to play with settings.

I agree with Chris; I rarely use the histogram in the camera EVF, as I'm too busy with composing, quickly adjusting exposure and possibly other settings if need be and focusing on whatever it is I am shooting, and if that is a moving goose, duck or other bird I don't have much time to ascertain that the settings are absolutely right in the histogram. I also shoot in RAW and Auto White Balance, and then when in editing my images later I look at the histogram, look at the white balance and exposure and adjust things accordingly. Today's editing software is much easier in which to work than that of the past!

I agree with Chris; I rarely use the histogram in the camera EVF, as I'm too busy with composing, quickly adjusting exposure and possibly other settings if need be and focusing on whatever it is I am shooting, and if that is a moving goose, duck or other bird I don't have much time to ascertain that the settings are absolutely right in the histogram. I also shoot in RAW and Auto White Balance, and then when in editing my images later I look at the histogram, look at the white balance and exposure and adjust things accordingly. Today's editing software is much easier in which to work than that of the past!
I agree fully with what you have said and noticed just what you have said and being a very late user of the histogram as I really had no idea what it was used for but now I do. So I just wished it could be maybe on the top left for me as I think it might be able to be seen a lot better.
But I will use in with landscape shot and where I have time but as for birding it is out. Thanks for your comment.

I agree fully with what you have said and noticed just what you have said and being a very late user of the histogram as I really had no idea what it was used for but now I do. So I just wished it could be maybe on the top left for me as I think it might be able to be seen a lot better.
But I will use in with landscape shot and where I have time but as for birding it is out. Thanks for your comment.
As a birder arriving at a potential shoot site i will always pre-set my manual mode settings(shutter (Shutter speed,Aperture,Iso) in exposing for the highlights dependant whether i am expecting to shoot flying birds mixes of sky and vegatation or light and dark vegatation or a mixture of all three and ensure my histogram is balanced for this.

That done, as an initial set up, I will go ahead shooting and make periodic adjustments as light fades and or my subjects vary outside my initial highlights and shadows mix expectation...........this will avoid frequent histogram reference but it is always good to keep an eye on the histogramme to see if the shooting scenario is changing.....hope this helps.

As a birder arriving at a potential shoot site i will always pre-set my manual mode settings(shutter (Shutter speed,Aperture,Iso) in exposing for the highlights dependant whether i am expecting to shoot flying birds mixes of sky and vegatation or light and dark vegatation or a mixture of all three and ensure my histogram is balanced for this.

That done, as an initial set up, I will go ahead shooting and make periodic adjustments as light fades and or my subjects vary outside my initial highlights and shadows mix expectation...........this will avoid frequent histogram reference but it is always good to keep an eye on the histogramme to see if the shooting scenario is changing.....hope this helps.
Since I have only just started to use it this is what I do. I will look into the trees and set it up like this and then when a bird comes along I will then do adjustments to my setting to suit that actual time. So I really don't have one setting for the lot as you can turn one way and it is a little darker so you have to adjust for that to get that shot right. then if it moves to more light adjust again. So I am always changing settings to try to get the right shot. Only looking down at the histo when I get the chance to do so. Which is why for me I wish I could have it in the total opposite corner as it just would be far better as I see it.

Do you have time to look at the histogram when framing up wildlife shots, or is it something you look at when you are setting up first and then ignore as you (pun intended) focus on birds and animals? Genuinely curious. I don't use the histogram when shooting, but I look at it when editing RAW files afterwards in Photoshop or Capture one.
I do use histogram but for landscape and sometimes portrait. Anyway it is something we can adjust in post. I use ligthrom

I have set the histogram view as one of my finder and monitor DSP views in the menu and always have it showing whilst I am shooting.. Speaking for the A1/A9 II, after setting my camera exposure for environment highlight levels at the start of a shoot, will use the histogramme in the bottom right corner of my viewfinder and will take a quick glance down with my eye on the VF over time to ensure I am keeping my highlights centre or mid right generally but on occasion if circumstances require i will go out further to the right without hitting it. I concentrate on highlights and let the shadows look after themselves.

as always the highlights and shadows can be recovered in RAW within wide limits whilst JPG does not afford the same flexability, particularly with highlights.....This is more so the case for cameras with high dynamic range as is the trend these days.....

Back