a7 IV Houston, we have a problem!

Welcome to the New Sony Alpha Shooters Community
Our community was only launched in August 2020 but is already thriving thanks to many amazing and helpful members. We'd love to welcome you on board too!
Join Now

liggy

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Sep 13, 2020
Interesting. I worry that it's a problem with the CF Express card. What is the software you used and where did you get it?
Sorry- off the top of my head I don’t recall. Fairly certain it was on the Sony website. I’ll look later and follow up.

Clix Pix

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 18, 2020
Country
United States
City/State
Northern Virginia Suburbs of Washington, DC
I would buy an official Sony card reader, the one which is a combo CFE Type A / SD card reader. Yes, it is more expensive but in the long run that may be a good thing. I have had mine nearly a year now, as I bought it at B&H just prior to getting my A1. Since I use Sony Tough SD cards in my A7R IV and RX10 IV, in addition to using two Sony Tough CFE Type A cards in the two slots in my A1, the combination works really well for me. In my A1 Card Slot 1 automatically rolls over to Card Slot 2 when I have filled the card in Slot 1 and as I keep shooting the sequence continues.

Reactions: pointreyes

Jeff A

Veteran Member
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Oct 31, 2020
Name
Jeff
Country
United States
City/State
Elk Grove, California
I would buy an official Sony card reader, the one which is a combo CFE Type A / SD card reader. Yes, it is more expensive but in the long run that may be a good thing. I have had mine nearly a year now, as I bought it at B&H just prior to getting my A1. Since I use Sony Tough SD cards in my A7R IV and RX10 IV, in addition to using two Sony Tough CFE Type A cards in the two slots in my A1, the combination works really well for me. In my A1 Card Slot 1 automatically rolls over to Card Slot 2 when I have filled the card in Slot 1 and as I keep shooting the sequence continues.
I just might do that, but I'll wait and see what the outcome of the repair is. The Service facility received my camera Wednesday the 15th. I spoke to them today and they said it normally takes 5 - 7 working days for repairs. Hopefully they have the needed parts.

MrFotoFool

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Apr 18, 2022
Name
Fred Hood
Country
United States
City/State
Arizona
I just might do that, but I'll wait and see what the outcome of the repair is. The Service facility received my camera Wednesday the 15th. I spoke to them today and they said it normally takes 5 - 7 working days for repairs. Hopefully they have the needed parts.
Yes hopefully they do have the parts. Mine were on backorder and the repair took six weeks! (And I had it sent in by my local repair shop who knows someone there and kept on them).

Jeff A

Veteran Member
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Oct 31, 2020
Name
Jeff
Country
United States
City/State
Elk Grove, California
Yes hopefully they do have the parts. Mine were on backorder and the repair took six weeks! (And I had it sent in by my local repair shop who knows someone there and kept on them).
Ouch! Don't even think that. It might stick!

• Haha
Reactions: MrFotoFool

Jeff A

Veteran Member
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Oct 31, 2020
Name
Jeff
Country
United States
City/State
Elk Grove, California

Houston, we have a problem! (Update)​

So, I got an email from the repair facility yesterday. I'll paste the bulk of it below. I would appreciate it if anyone who owns an A7 IV and has had warranty repairs, please share all the details with me, please.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Jeffrey Atchison,

We wanted to provide you an update on your repair status. Parts to complete your repair are currently on order. Once received in our facility we will process and work to diligently finish your repair. Many parts are currently taking 1-2 weeks to arrive, creating a delay in completing the repair. Should the parts arrival extend beyond two weeks we will contact you again to update repair status.

We are sorry for the delay in handling your repair and are doing everything possible to expedite the parts needed to complete your repair. Thank you for choosing Sony DI Repair at PCVR. Please contact us if you have any questions or concerns.

Please note, for real time status updates on your repair please go to: https://www.precisioncamera.com/sony

Sincerely,

The Sony DI Repair at PCVR Team

PCR Repair #: ???????
Make: ILCE-7 IV
Model: Sony
Serial: 6123###
Accessories Received:

MrFotoFool

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Apr 18, 2022
Name
Fred Hood
Country
United States
City/State
Arizona
I had my A74 repaired for slot failure, here are the details. It was only a couple months old when it happened, the SD card in slot 1 (the only one I had been using) was in the permanent eject position and would not allow a card to be inserted. I took to my excellent local repair shop, Tucson Camera Repair. He could not fix it and said he would have to send it in to the only authorized Sony repair facility, which he offered to do on my behalf. The parts were backordered and it took about six weeks to get repaired. It was fixed under warranty, but I had to pay the shipping cost to my local repair shop. I have since been using slot 2, the single slot, since reports on this forum suggest slot 1 (the dual slot) is more prone to failure.

Jeff A

Veteran Member
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Oct 31, 2020
Name
Jeff
Country
United States
City/State
Elk Grove, California
I had my A74 repaired for slot failure, here are the details. It was only a couple months old when it happened, the SD card in slot 1 (the only one I had been using) was in the permanent eject position and would not allow a card to be inserted. I took to my excellent local repair shop, Tucson Camera Repair. He could not fix it and said he would have to send it in to the only authorized Sony repair facility, which he offered to do on my behalf. The parts were backordered and it took about six weeks to get repaired. It was fixed under warranty, but I had to pay the shipping cost to my local repair shop. I have since been using slot 2, the single slot, since reports on this forum suggest slot 1 (the dual slot) is more prone to failure.
Well, since I have invested in a CFexpress card, I'll continue using both slots. I can tell you that card insertions and removals have been smooth as glass. Even though I got the word from the repair facility, I don't know what they have found. In my case, the card could not be read with a card reader or a cable connection but could be read by the camera and the other slot. That just makes no sense. I have no knowledge of the workings of my camera but my GUESS is that in my case, it was an electronic problem and not a mechanical problem.

Reactions: MrFotoFool

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.