How do you know how many frames per second you are achieving?

Raindog

Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 27, 2020
Sorry if this is a really dumb question, but how do you know what fps you are achieving? Is there an indicator somewhere as I've not been able to find it. I'm using the a9.

Thanks!

Will

Timothy Mayo

Admin
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Mar 1, 2020
Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Malvern
Reactions: Raindog

Raindog

Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 27, 2020
There is no indicator. If you have your cameras drive mode set to the fastest frame rate such as 20fps on the a9 there is still no guarantee that you will be getting 20 fps. To achieve 20 fps the lens needs to support this frame rate and additional prerequisites need to be met. You can find all the details along with which lenses support 20 fps on the a9 here: http://support.d-imaging.sony.co.jp/support/ilc/products/ilce9/continuousshooting/en/index.html

Okay, thanks for confirming. It was watching the A1 reviewers confidently stating they were reaching 30fps. Got me thinking am I missing an indicator or something. How do they know it wasn't 29? Then I though if there was an indicator then it would be interesting to try out different configurations and see how it impacted the fps. But thank you for the reply.

Timothy Mayo

Admin
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Mar 1, 2020
Name
Tim
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Malvern
Okay, thanks for confirming. It was watching the A1 reviewers confidently stating they were reaching 30fps. Got me thinking am I missing an indicator or something. How do they know it wasn't 29? Then I though if there was an indicator then it would be interesting to try out different configurations and see how it impacted the fps. But thank you for the reply.
The only way they will know for sure how many frames they have got is to time the burst then count them, I think Mark Galer did this.

Ziggy

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 6, 2020
Country
Australia
City/State
Victoria
I set my A9 to AF priority on the Focus/Release setting, not the default 'balanced', and on 10 fps regularly get less where the scene isn't optimal - a clear BIF against a plain background. Against a busy background it can drop to 3 fps (n of shots/seconds).
In balanced mode the body accepts shots that aren't tack sharp.

So the advertised rate is conditional.

My D500 is the same.

Reactions: Raindog

Raindog

Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 27, 2020
I set my A9 to AF priority on the Focus/Release setting, not the default 'balanced', and on 10 fps regularly get less where the scene isn't optimal - a clear BIF against a plain background. Against a busy background it can drop to 3 fps (n of shots/seconds).
In balanced mode the body accepts shots that aren't tack sharp.

So the advertised rate is conditional.

My D500 is the same.
Thanks for the reply and info. You have some stunning shots on your flickr bird book, well done!

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.