how long does it take for you guys to learn new kit evaluate or just hate and move on regardless of brand

spudhead

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so my journey back to photography has been expensive and at times frustrating, so how long do you guys take to learn a new camera, or lens, equipment and work out if you love or hate it? So I tend to have stuck with most of my bodies for 2-3 years to learn and fully decide its limits and use or lack of, the one camera I truly hated mainly because it was so slow to focus was the original a7, that quickly wore me down and had to go. So let me know Sony or other brand camera or lens etc

I usually read the reviews from the people I have learnt to trust (not many of them online) before I purchase. If the reviews are positive on the features that matter to me and no negatives that matter then I'll buy it. Never had a lens or camera that was a suprise and didn't like but that is down to the reviewers not me. The negative side is having to wait until the reviews have come out, I never buy without them.

I'm on year 3 with the a6400, before that I had the a6000 for less than 6 months, and the only reason for the switch was for 4k video specs. So call it 3 years with this family of camera body. This is my first foray into interchangeable lens cameras and I'm not disappointed. I've reached the point where I can see the limits of the camera sensor, and have reached a point of maturity to know when my skillset is the limiting factor. I could stay on this platform for a few more years, I am comfortable.

Previous to this, I hunted for point and shoot cameras and action cams based solely on specs and user reviews online. I have never returned a camera, except for one Ricoh that had mechanical issues. I guess I usually convince myself to adapt to the camera, rather than try cameras for best fit-for-me. I suspect part of that is due to budget: maybe subliminally if I know I had to save up my $ for a fancy gadget, I'd force myself to like it.

Usually a couple of months, but with the RIV more, and I still try new stuff 2 years on. I was happy with it after a couple of weeks though. I do always try the gear out in a shop before I buy though, even if I don't buy from the shop I test in.

I have used so many different cameras and camera sytems over the years that it usually does not take me very long to get used to whatever I have at the moment. All though way back in the beginning of my photo career I shot with Nikon for many years, at some point I had the need to switch to Cannon for some extra things the Canon could do at the time that Nikon could not. It too me the longest time to get used to the Canon because for me everything was backward on the Canon, the lens rings turned the other way.

Still learning, never going to know it all!

I tend to know pretty quick if I’m going to get on with a camera/lens but it took a month or two to work out the Sony menu. 🤣

Back