Followers
Following
Name
tony knight
Country
France
City/State
77210 Avon
We now have every day consumer cameras that can produce images of 65 mp and Im sure that number will increase as time goes by. I remember being told that 24 mp was the most I would ever need. So is there a limit to the amount of mp before it becomes irrelevant and image quality reaches a plateau or in 10 years time will we be shooting with 100mp or 200mp cameras. Im sure I read somewhere that the human eye can only see images to a certain number of pixels.

We now have every day consumer cameras that can produce images of 65 mp and Im sure that number will increase as time goes by. I remember being told that 24 mp was the most I would ever need. So is there a limit to the amount of mp before it becomes irrelevant and image quality reaches a plateau or in 10 years time will we be shooting with 100mp or 200mp cameras. Im sure I read somewhere that the human eye can only see images to a certain number of pixels.

I've read, and been told, that on full frame, 100mp is the finite limit, and is unlikely to see light of day any time soon. The Fuji Medium Format is 100mp, but look at the size (and price!) of it. I honestly can't see the need to go beyond the RIV's 61mp, it's truly insane how much detail it captures.

I've read, and been told, that on full frame, 100mp is the finite limit, and is unlikely to see light of day any time soon. The Fuji Medium Format is 100mp, but look at the size (and price!) of it. I honestly can't see the need to go beyond the RIV's 61mp, it's truly insane how much detail it captures.
Kevriano I'm with you on that but I bet the marketing guys convince us otherwise in the years to come:):):)

Unless I'm doing some serious cropping or enlarging, I cant tell the difference between 10.2 (A200) and 24.2 (A68).

If you're doing something special and NEED more than 24mp, then you need it, but for a Joe average hobbyist like me, my old eyes just don't work that well!

As others have noted, It depends on what you are going to do with your images.
If you are displaying online, it is doubtful you need even 24mp.
If your idea of a print is an 8x10, you do not need more than 24mp- unless you do some crazy cropping.
Personally I print large. 20x30" is a normal size print. 40x72" is as big as I can produce myself. I am shooting the a7riv- and sometimes wish I had more resolution.
For the resolution to really matter, you also need lenses and a workflow that lets you actually use all the resolution the camera has.
Gary

Back