Image size to lens size

Welcome to the New Sony Alpha Shooters Community
Our community was only launched in August 2020 but is already thriving thanks to many amazing and helpful members. We'd love to welcome you on board too!
Join Now

Aussie

Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 9, 2020
Name
Ralph Ernesti
Country
Australia
City/State
Victoria
Honestly, this is one of the hardest things for me to understand.
I will get to the point where I am totally lost.

Let's say I am after the aftermarket Sigma 100/400mm lens but then I see another lens close to the same number but
this other one is a big beautiful lens. This Is the hard part for me to get my head around and understand it.
Plus I think if you now look at some of these lens where they are under millimeter number like an 85mm lens.
One of the looks to be about the size I was talking about to start of with.

All this has done is made this older person think he has got no chance of understanding all of these lens lengths.
If you know of a good youtube thing that explains it to a dummy like me I would really appreciate it if you
point me to it. As reading it all isn't going to stick in for a while but watching and being told works better for me.

Thank you.

scotty38

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Oct 22, 2020
Probably have a look round for "focal length comparison" or something like that as I'm sure you'll find loads that will help.

Reactions: Aussie

Aussie

Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 9, 2020
Name
Ralph Ernesti
Country
Australia
City/State
Victoria
Probably have a look round for "focal length comparison" or something like that as I'm sure you'll find loads that will help.
Thank you for the point in the right direction.

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.