Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
Apart from Myself and Brownie is anyone using or has anyone used an adaptor or adapted glass from another maker or Sony a-mount or Minolta glass on Sony e-mount please post what you have used and your experience with it regardless of make cost or your interests or body used on. I have used a-mount glass for a while and am wondering if maybe canon Nikon etc have viable glass on e-mount. Please Tim @Brownie add your thoughts

Not on E-Mount, but I have used Minolta MC/MD, Pentax, A-Mount, and M-42 on Panasonic. The only expensive adapter I've ever used is the LA-EA5, all the others have been $20-25 Fotodiox or other brand. They all worked just fine. There is an amazing amount of fine glass out there for low dollars if someone wants to play around. This is a nice advantage of mirrorless cameras.

The one downside is that I tend to use them only as a novelty and have ended up with a lot of lenses just setting around. I still have a large assortment of all mentioned. Other than the Minolta 80-200/2.8 APO G, even my AF A-mounts set.

I would offer this advice to anyone who wants to go this route: Be judicious in your purchases. A fantastic lens for $49 isn't worth it if it never gets used.

I tried a Nikon to Sony adapter and put my Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 on it but found the focus was slower So gave up on the idea.

I tried a Nikon to Sony adapter and put my Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 on it but found the focus was slower So gave up on the idea.
Except for a few instances, best to stay with manual focus adapters.

I am not aware of an adapter with electronic communications/contacts which works "well" for third party lenses on the Sony cameras.......

For manual focusing using a lens with an aperture ring on the body the current Vello adapter (Nikon to Sony ) is ok but again i haven't been able to ID any electronic adapter which performs well on a Sony, or at least gives comparable performance to the equivalent native sony lenses.

Except for a few instances, best to stay with manual focus adapters.
I may have mentioned this before but on one visit to a wildlife park with mates I grabbed the a73 and the minolta 400 4.5 and the wrong adaptor! no screw drive well my mate thought it was hilarious, but no I turned on focus peaking and shot manual everything all day and the results were good. I will post a couple here only as I am well aware that animals in captivity offend many on here, the point is manual focus was so easy on the a73 it took me back years
tiger  2019 2.jpg
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 400mm F4.5
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 500
tiger 2019 27.jpg
  • ILCE-7M3
  • 400mm F4.5
  • 400.0 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 500

I use an A mount Sigma 105 mm 2.8 with a marumi achromat +3 with a Sony adapter for macro work on my A6400 and A1. I think it works very well.

I've used a manual adapter with A-mount glass as well. The adapter (even the cheap one) has an aperture ring. It's not graduated (for obvious reasons), but if you start with the ring all way to one side, put the camera in P or A, and watch the shutter speed change as you rotate the ring, you can pretty much tell where it's at.

With my Nikon to Sony "dumb" Vello adaptor(no electronics) and 200mm Nikon Macro lens I have focus peaking available, which works well , and equally with my Louwa 85mm x2 lens (for sony) and Meike electronic extension rings i also have focus peaking available at a net magnification with 36mm extension rings just short of x3.

I mainly use Kipon, K&F, or Rayqual for my F-mount and Olympus OM mount glass - all manual focus, no communication with the camera. I mostly use this glass for infrared photography. So, here's an example of the "look" that the OM 35 f2.8 on the A7Rii gave me:
R7200445.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM2
  • ----
  • 1/500 sec
  • ISO 100

And on my Fujifilm X-T3:
XT3FS00364.jpg
  • X-T3
  • 35.0 mm
  • 35.0 mm
  • ƒ/1
  • 1/550 sec
  • ISO 160

Those test shots pleased me anyway. :)
The Nikkor 35 AF-D I use is also very good for IR.
I had to purchase the Rayqual for the Fujifilm camera because I noticed that focus was not as good on the K&F adapter I was testing with. The tolerances of the Rayqual are very tight and controlled the light through the adapter very well.

Ok guys thanks for all replies this is great I thought I was wasting my time but clearly not:)

I have an EA3 adapter for Minolta 70-210 ii (for everything except AF), and PK adapter for numerous Pentax primes from 28 to 200mm. I also have some fun zooms like their 17-28mm fisheye, and Rikenon XR 70-150 f/4 from the days of film when Ricoh wasn't Pentax' parent company!

Oddly enough I found a dumb Nikon -E adapter from my brief Nex foray a few years ago, and even a really thin μ43-E shim for my TTArtisan 17mm (aps.c capable, almost works in 16:9). Its most interesting option is for my μ43-C-1.25" telescope adapter; wonder if that will vignette? Let's find out.. when the clouds part again..

Last edited:

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back