ISO 12,800 - How useful is it?

Welcome to the New Sony Alpha Shooters Community
Our community was only launched in August 2020 but is already thriving thanks to many amazing and helpful members. We'd love to welcome you on board too!
Join Now

FowlersFreeTime

Well Known Member
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Nov 19, 2020
Name
Chris
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
On a whim I tried to use my a6400 at a dinner on the beach event. Very dimly lit, beyond "mood lighting" it was just damned dark LOL. Didn't use the onboard flash as it casts a shadow over the Tamron 17-70 lens. I just thought this would be interesting if anyone wanted to see what kind of grain is going on with an APSC shot in dim light (candle light and tiki torches only) at ISO 12,800:

DSC07879.jpg

Camera Raw info if anyone is interested:
editing dark photos.jpg

And no, Noise Reduction can't work miracles ok 🤣

Kevriano

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 18, 2020
Name
Kev Harper
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Ormesby St Margaret
I once took some shots at ISO 128.400 on my old Pentax. It looked like someone had painted with a stickle brick :)

• Haha
Reactions: FowlersFreeTime

Boojum

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 9, 2021
Name
Sandy
Country
United States
City/State
Astoria, Oregon
No, noise reduction is not a panacea but we are streets beyond where we were only a few years ago in high ISO resolution. Sensor sophistication and corresponding firmware/software today is amazing. Just think back the short period of ten years and what was possible then as compared to now. Likewise lenses. Maybe smartphone photography gave the somnolent camera industry a wake-up call.

Reactions: Spiderx1

AlphaWorld

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Apr 8, 2021
Name
Tony
I took my Sony into a nocturnal mammals display at the zoo. So dark you could easily run into people. No flash allowed, of course. Absolute definition of shooting in “available dark”!

Found that using a prime lens, wide open at f/1.8, with ISO up at max real ISO, produced decent images sometimes, but they looked best converted to monochrome because what light there was was red-orange.

Funny part - I could see a lot more through the EVF than I could without the camera - it was acting kind of like “night vision”.

Spiderx1

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Nov 20, 2020
Name
Randy Siers
Topaz DeNoise works wonders. I find the Clear Mode to work well. I also have On1 NoNoise, so far not as good as Topaz.
I shoot approx 2,000 to 3,000 frames per week at ISO 8,000-12,800 on my A1. You can get some nice photos at high ISO but it really starts to show when you add in a great deal of cropping.

Alan Clark

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Jul 1, 2021
Name
Alan Clark
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Liverpool
With image stabilisation you can also use very long exposure times hand-held. I have taken photos at 0.7 secs with a 90mm lens and there was no apparent camera shake. Combined with high ISO, it has to be very dark indeed before you cannot get an adequate photo.

FowlersFreeTime

Well Known Member
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Nov 19, 2020
Name
Chris
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
With image stabilisation you can also use very long exposure times hand-held. I have taken photos at 0.7 secs with a 90mm lens and there was no apparent camera shake. Combined with high ISO, it has to be very dark indeed before you cannot get an adequate photo.
I really do want to upgrade to a camera body with IBIS. I even considered taking a loss and trading my a6400 to an a6600, but I'll either wait for a new APSC to be announced or buy the A7IV next year.

Boojum

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 9, 2021
Name
Sandy
Country
United States
City/State
Astoria, Oregon
I really do want to upgrade to a camera body with IBIS. I even considered taking a loss and trading my a6400 to an a6600, but I'll either wait for a new APSC to be announced or buy the A7IV next year.

You will love IBIS. Even when you do no know it is working, it is.

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.