Low flying dog.
canarywharf_greenwich-3.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/160 sec
  • ISO 100

Any suggestions on how to improve the image, in particular the dark leaves?
greenwich park-1.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 89.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 320

I particularly like the shadows under the large tree in this image. However, the tree itself is a little dark. I tried lighting it up in LR, but the texture came out wrong and somewhat unpleasant. Any ideas on fixing the tree?
greenwich park-2.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/80 sec
  • ISO 160

Enjoying a lazy Spring Sunday afernoon in Greenwich Park, apart from the photographer, she had this part of the park to herself.
greenwich park-3.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 89.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 125

HI Ed,
Mask/select the tree trunk in LR by a masking brush and apply positive exposure or shadows to lighten the tree trunk to your preference and thereafter apply a combination of texture/ clarity and debhaze as necessary....should be a fairly straight forward process unless the shadows have been blown - doesn't seem the shadows are blown as far as I can tell.

Hope this helps.

HI Ed,
Mask/select the tree trunk in LR by a masking brush and apply positive exposure or shadows to lighten the tree trunk to your preference and thereafter apply a combination of texture/ clarity and debhaze as necessary....should be a fairly straight forward process unless the shadows have been blown - doesn't seem the shadows are blown as far as I can tell.

Hope this helps.
HI Ray, yes, this is what I did, but the tree came out looking a little unnatural, no matter what I did.

A dodge brush will lighten the areas you want. Most are cumulative, so choose a light correction and go over it several times until it looks like you want, or as close as you can get. Overcorrecting will result in weird textures like you note above, so you may have to settle for something less than perfect.

A dodge brush will lighten the areas you want. Most are cumulative, so choose a light correction and go over it several times until it looks like you want, or as close as you can get. Overcorrecting will result in weird textures like you note above, so you may have to settle for something less than perfect.
Thanks Tim, that is very helpful, I'll give that a go.

Thanks Tim, that is very helpful, I'll give that a go.

Tim, I applied the dodge brush to the main tree truck to lighten it a little. I think it worked OK. If I ligthened it too much I was getting weird textures, so I think this is possibly the best I can get out of the image.

greenwich park_ps-5.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/80 sec
  • ISO 160

Same with this image. I lightened some of the dark leaves on the bottom left and top left and in the centre using the dodge brush.
greenwich park_ps-4.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 89.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/100 sec
  • ISO 320

Back