Just got my a7lll and have questions

Graycegrrl

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
GraceHughes
E5F6424F-C5EA-4D4E-AFA0-69E4B1B0BA4D.jpeg

Hiya! Just got my a7lll yesterday. Came with 28-70 lens. Spent hours researching what else I needed. This is my first “real” digital camera (iPhone doesn’t count does it? Lol-40 years ago I had a Minolta 35mm)
I live in Alaska and spend a lot of time in remote places-out on the water or in the backcountry. Do a fair amount of traveling but will do more in the next 5 years and beyond (retirement). I’m obsessed with water and light especially as it come up over the mountains so I’m out in inclement weather.
Hope I got the right stuff:
Ordered SanDisk 128GB Extreme Pro SDX UHS-1, Sony Tough High Perf SDXC SF-G 32T/T1, Expert Shield Glass Screen Protector, ProGrade Digital CFexpress Type B and SD USH-ll duel slot memory card reader, microfiber cleaning cloths, 55mm Lens filter kit by Altura Photo ND, CPL, UV. Camera backpack and a small neoprene camera case. I’m also set up with a Pro for a few private classes.

I’ve some other questions too:
Should I get a flash? If so, which one?

I’m planning on concentrating on Landscapes, Water and Sky and the occasional portrait so I don’t think I’ll be shooting video a lot except when on the boat fishing and then it’s just for FB bragging and grins. That said, Do I NEED to have the USH-ll in the slot?

What else should I know?

Thanks in advance!
Here’s an example of what I like to shoot

Welcome Grace! Sounds like a nice kit! Nice pic also! (y)

Welcome Grace. Hope you enjoy your new A7iii - I’ve had mine a few months now and really enjoying using it and learning how to! I would suggest trawling through Youtube and find your favourite reviewers/tutors. Have you watched Jake Sloan videos - he’s based in Alaska and shows some great landscapes, although the crunching sounds of his boots on the snow (-22degC) was difficult to listen to - like fingernails down a blackboard.
Good luck with the Expert Shield glass screen - my first one developed an air bubble which grew and I couldn’t get rid of it and the second one has just started to develop an air bubble. I’m obviously doing something wrong.
i don’t have a flash so can’t give you any advice there.
Have fun.

UHS-II in slot-1 only, slot-2 is slower and that card would be overspeced for slot-2 (still works but at slower speeds).

A flash can be very handy, Godox 860iii-S would be my suggestion. Latter on you can get a wireless trigger so you can start using your flash off lens axys and thus get a more pleasing lighting, until then practice with bouncing the flash of the walls/ceiling for a similar result.

As for NEEDing or not UHD-II cards or not it only depends on how much action you will be capturing and how often bursts of that action will happen. Also, with your M3, until the buffer clears/flushes out to card you are prevented from going into the menus doing any changes. That might cause you to very rarely be unable to catch some post-action celebration at the optimal settings.

Last edited:
"I’m planning on concentrating on Landscapes, Water and Sky and the occasional portrait so I don’t think I’ll be shooting video a lot except when on the boat fishing and then it’s just for FB bragging and grins. That said, Do I NEED to have the USH-ll in the slot?"

With that type of shooting just where would you use a flash? See how you do without it. I have the same camera and just love it. It seems to always capture well what I point it at. What more can I ask? You will love it.

And welcome to the group.

View attachment 14792
Hiya! Just got my a7lll yesterday. Came with 28-70 lens. Spent hours researching what else I needed. This is my first “real” digital camera (iPhone doesn’t count does it? Lol-40 years ago I had a Minolta 35mm)
I live in Alaska and spend a lot of time in remote places-out on the water or in the backcountry. Do a fair amount of traveling but will do more in the next 5 years and beyond (retirement). I’m obsessed with water and light especially as it come up over the mountains so I’m out in inclement weather.
Hope I got the right stuff:
Ordered SanDisk 128GB Extreme Pro SDX UHS-1, Sony Tough High Perf SDXC SF-G 32T/T1, Expert Shield Glass Screen Protector, ProGrade Digital CFexpress Type B and SD USH-ll duel slot memory card reader, microfiber cleaning cloths, 55mm Lens filter kit by Altura Photo ND, CPL, UV. Camera backpack and a small neoprene camera case. I’m also set up with a Pro for a few private classes.

I’ve some other questions too:
Should I get a flash? If so, which one?

I’m planning on concentrating on Landscapes, Water and Sky and the occasional portrait so I don’t think I’ll be shooting video a lot except when on the boat fishing and then it’s just for FB bragging and grins. That said, Do I NEED to have the USH-ll in the slot?

What else should I know?

Thanks in advance!
Here’s an example of what I like to shoot
Grace, I was exactly where you are a year ago, more or less. I have some suggestions:
  • The first thing you did right is join this Forum. This is a good place with lots to learn.
  • Next, I would suggest you go to go to this link for Mark Galer's site.
  • When you get there, scroll down and look on the right side for a title called "Patreon Support" and click that.
  • When you get there, read what he has to say and become a Patron. Secret tip: Do it next Wednesday the 1st of December because his billing periods begin on the 1st of the month.
If you join now, you'll pay $10.00 and get hit again on the 1st.

After you become a Patron or Patreon (?) you will have many free downloads available. Find the Sony A7 III / A7RIII eBook and down load it. From there, you will have boat loads of information. That eBook is over 500 pages and includes lots of links to his videos. It is a valuable resource. If you get all the downloads you want, quit before the end of the month and you only spent $10.00. For me, I'm sticking around longer.

The net is full of information but there are few people who know as much as this guy. I guarantee you, you will thank me for this. Good luck.

Oh, living that far North and planing on doing Landscapes you will definitely need a tripod too.

“Do I need a flash?”

Yes, eventually, we all need one. Even it is just to add sparks to the eyes, or if she/he is backlit (think of a portrait at sunset, with the sun at your subjects back: you'll want to light the faces while being able to capture the sky's colors).

The are ton of options available but, if you don't intend to use it that often, something like a Neewer TT560 might be enough for occasional use. Inexpensive and does the job.

Regards,
L.

Back