Roland Ruesch
Country
United States
City/State
San Rafael, CA
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
A year ago, I learned about Keystone Animals in this youtube video Keystone
This is the reason that I like this birdfeeder visitor, while most other people hate him.
My cooper's Hawk keeps the bullies like Jays and Woodpeckers in check. Without the hawk, those big birds would seat next to the feeder and prevent the 20 other smaller species of birds to get close to the food. I know, that the hawk will catch once in a while a junco or finch but 99.9% he does the job I expect him to do: Keep the feeder accessible for everybody.

DSC00041.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • Sony FE 200–600mm F5.6–6.3 G OSS (SEL200600G)
  • 448.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/1600 sec
  • ISO 400

He looks like a security Guard

This is the reason that I like this birdfeeder visitor, while most other people hate him.
My cooper's Hawk keeps the bullies like Jays and Woodpeckers in check. Without the hawk, those big birds would seat next to the feeder and prevent the 20 other smaller species of birds to get close to the food. I know, that the hawk will catch once in a while a junco or finch but 99.9% he does the job I expect him to do: Keep the feeder accessible for everybody.

View attachment 38162

Good to see some real men still exist these days! 💪

View attachment 38162
Thanks for including a link to the video Roland. I enjoyed learning about Keystone species.
Cheers!

Back