Kitchen filming with a6400: Constructive Feedback?

FowlersFreeTime

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Chris
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
So this year, cooking videos have become a covid-project for me (lockdown etc). My videos are pretty amateur and formulaic: Intro, splash screen, gimbal shot of ingredients, prep, cook, talk, closing remarks. I could use some suggestions on how to make this solo production better from a technical point of view.

Recent video: https://youtu.be/cOCTf6CatCI

For reference, I have been using an a6400 with the Sony 35mm f1.8 on a tripod to film. I also put the camera on a small gimbal (Feiyutech G6 Max) to do the occasional flyover shot. For audio, I'm using a Rode videomicro. For lighting, I'm heavily reliant on my kitchen's ceiling lights. Editing is done in Premiere Pro.
  • Is the 35mm (50mm full frame equivalent) too close? Should I use my kit lens at 22-ish mm instead (for a full-frame equivalent of 35mm)?
  • I typically record between f2.0 and f2.8. Should I get a studio light and film with a smaller aperture for better focus?
  • Is the audio quality poor? thinking of getting a wireless lav mic to cut down on echo.
  • should I try to incorporate more of a top-down camera position for preparation? If so, any tripod recommendations?

Back