Followers
Following
Name
Zé Fontes
Country
Portugal
City/State
Porto
I am scratching my head over lens choices for some nature and landscape shots. The first 3, I may be able to acquire for similar prices considered the used market. The last option, the 16-55 2.8 is at least 3 times the price of the previous.

I had the chance of using the 18-135 for a couple of months. Certainly loved it. Sharp, lightweight and super versatile. Losing a bit on the wide end.
The sigma 16mm f1.4 is so praised that I feel it is the lens to go! But afraid that I will be limited.
The 10-18mm is the only native option on the ultrawide end, but I did not particularly liked the sharpness in some reviews I researched.
The 16-55mm f2.8 may be the best option, but way more expensive. It is fast, versatile and sharp accordingly to all the reviews I have seen.

Please let me know your thoughts on these and suggest other options!

I'm new here, but I have the first 3 lenses on your list.
The 18-135 is a very versatile lens, but yes, sometimes you wish for a wider perspective. I don't mind it's aperture since one normally employs longer exposures for landscape shots.
The sigma 16 is a fantastic piece of glass, but its a prime, so you are locked into one focal length. You'll want this one if low-light photography is part of the "nature and landscape" you mentioned.
I just recently got the 10-18, its crazy wide compared to the 18-135 I am used to! Wide works for seascapes and open land, but for some landscape, you might actually end up cropping your shots a bit to get the composition you want.

That 16-55f2.8 is just sooo much money. I'd rent/buy it if I was a wedding photographer, but otherwise, my budget is already spent LOL!

What are you using right now? the 16-50 kit lens?

Thanks for your insights!
I sold both the 16-50 and the 18-135 previously to quickly cash in for a sale on the 200-600mm.

Now I need to get reinvest on a wide lens. And I'm very happy to see the newly announced Tamron 17-70 2.8!

It might seem obvious, but as wide as you can get, 16mm at least, given the added reach with the crop sensor. 10-18 is good. I had a Sigma 10 20 on APSC (Pentax), it was awesome.

Are you opposed to adapted dslr lenses?

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back