Landscape APS-C lens options

Welcome to the New Sony Alpha Shooters Community
Our community was only launched in August 2020 but is already thriving thanks to many amazing and helpful members. We'd love to welcome you on board too!
Join Now

Landscape on APS-C lens choice on a Budget

• Sigma 16mm f1.4

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • E10-18

• E16-55 - (and save for a year)

• Total voters

zf.wild

Newcomer
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Nov 9, 2020
Name
Zé Fontes
Country
Portugal
City/State
Porto
I am scratching my head over lens choices for some nature and landscape shots. The first 3, I may be able to acquire for similar prices considered the used market. The last option, the 16-55 2.8 is at least 3 times the price of the previous.

I had the chance of using the 18-135 for a couple of months. Certainly loved it. Sharp, lightweight and super versatile. Losing a bit on the wide end.
The sigma 16mm f1.4 is so praised that I feel it is the lens to go! But afraid that I will be limited.
The 10-18mm is the only native option on the ultrawide end, but I did not particularly liked the sharpness in some reviews I researched.
The 16-55mm f2.8 may be the best option, but way more expensive. It is fast, versatile and sharp accordingly to all the reviews I have seen.

Please let me know your thoughts on these and suggest other options!

FowlersFreeTime

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Nov 19, 2020
Name
Chris Fowler
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
I'm new here, but I have the first 3 lenses on your list.
The 18-135 is a very versatile lens, but yes, sometimes you wish for a wider perspective. I don't mind it's aperture since one normally employs longer exposures for landscape shots.
The sigma 16 is a fantastic piece of glass, but its a prime, so you are locked into one focal length. You'll want this one if low-light photography is part of the "nature and landscape" you mentioned.
I just recently got the 10-18, its crazy wide compared to the 18-135 I am used to! Wide works for seascapes and open land, but for some landscape, you might actually end up cropping your shots a bit to get the composition you want.

That 16-55f2.8 is just sooo much money. I'd rent/buy it if I was a wedding photographer, but otherwise, my budget is already spent LOL!

What are you using right now? the 16-50 kit lens?

zf.wild

Newcomer
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Nov 9, 2020
Name
Zé Fontes
Country
Portugal
City/State
Porto
Thanks for your insights!
I sold both the 16-50 and the 18-135 previously to quickly cash in for a sale on the 200-600mm.

Now I need to get reinvest on a wide lens. And I'm very happy to see the newly announced Tamron 17-70 2.8!

Kevriano

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 18, 2020
Name
Kev Harper
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Crawley
It might seem obvious, but as wide as you can get, 16mm at least, given the added reach with the crop sensor. 10-18 is good. I had a Sigma 10 20 on APSC (Pentax), it was awesome.

UncleVanya

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Nov 11, 2020
Name
Brad Shea
Country
United States
City/State
Charlotte, North Carolina
Are you opposed to adapted dslr lenses?

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.