Lens kit for new A7R III

Henry Kisor

Original poster
Followers
Following
Oct 5, 2020
I've had an A7R III for a month now, having come over from Pentax, and am liking it mightily.

So far I've got the Tamron 24 f2.8, the Sony 50 f1.8, and the Sigma 100-400.

To that I've added from my old stuff a Pentax 20 f4, a Tamron 90 macro, and a Pentax 300 f4.5. Those three of course need a Pentax-to-Sony adapter and work only manually. The 90 and 300 need tripods because of manual focusing fussiness.

The 20's focus can be set between infinity and six feet at f8, hence the need for manual focusing with that lens is much less.

Now I think I need a travel zoom lens for those trips where I need to carry light. Right now the Tamron 28-200 looks very good to me, but the f5.6 limit at the long end could be a drag. Advice, please?

Ziggy

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 6, 2020
Country
Australia
City/State
Victoria
What subject matter?

That choice has you paying twice for 100-200.

Have you considered the FE 24-105?

Henry Kisor

Original poster
Followers
Following
Oct 5, 2020
Indeed I have considered the FE 24-105. It is a great lens. Against the Tamron 28-200, however, I'd be paying twice the price for a little more than half the reach. I'm not a pro and have an amateur budget.

Subject matter: Travel. I need a lightweight one-lens kit for a variety of subjects from landscapes and street shots to birds, if I can get close enough to them on foot.

Last edited:

Roger

Followers
Following
Oct 8, 2020
What's wrong with the Sony 24-240. I find it ticks most of the boxes if I only want to take one lens out with me.

Henry Kisor

Original poster
Followers
Following
Oct 5, 2020
Absolutely nothing except price. I'm on a budget. Bought the Tamron 28-200 on sale and am very happy with it.

Roger

Followers
Following
Oct 8, 2020
Didn't realise you had already bought the Tamron - your original post said you were considering it. Price wise, the Sony, at present costs £669, and the Tamron £799 - £130. more. Not sure where you are based, but the difference is still quite marked, even when converted to dollars.
Enjoy your lens.

Henry Kisor

Original poster
Followers
Following
Oct 5, 2020
Yeah, the original post was Oct. 9 and I got the 28-200 in November. Regarding prices, the 24-240 is US$1048 and the 28-200 is US$729 at B&H in New York presently. Got the 28-200 for $679 when it went on sale in late November.

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.