Let's try a new thread near misses, the shot that got away, the shot that did not quite work, not disasters but near misses

spudhead

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Gary
Country
United Kingdom
here is the result of a small bet with my son who could climb this tree and get a shot of the fungi at the slowest shutter speed, well as you see not only did it not quite work but I also fell out of that tree while trying and going too far, please post up your near misses and excuses
plants.jpg
  • ILCE-7M3
  • FE 24-70mm F4 ZA OSS
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/13 sec
  • ISO 320

One of many near misses from a kingfisher photography session. Focus is just a matter of luck.

22S03466.jpg
  • Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro G OSS
  • 90.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.5999999046326
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 12800

here is the result of a small bet with my son who could climb this tree and get a shot of the fungi at the slowest shutter speed, well as you see not only did it not quite work but I also fell out of that tree while trying and going too far, please post up your near misses and excuses View attachment 27321
Nevertheless a good shot as you plummeted earthward to a grassy face plant.. 🤣 ….hope you are well and no injuries except perhaps to your pride in front of your son…

I'm not sure this forum has enough bandwidth, provided of course everyone is honest about misses.

OOF BIF shots don't count, it's the nature of the beast. How about a nicely focused shot on half a bird?

Generally, I don't keep them and ditch them off the card before upload.

near miss on this robin
robin 2022.jpg
  • ILCE-9
  • Sony FE 200–600mm F5.6–6.3 G OSS (SEL200600G)
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/2000 sec
  • ISO 12800

Though I kept this shot it wasn't quite right as the Herons beak is out of focus due to a slightly slow shutter speed for the situation. This fish is spot on though, so I'm not sure you'd count it :D
DSC01407 copy.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 594.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 500

Come on guys if you're not failing, you're not learning

Come on guys if you're not failing, you're not learning
I cull mine. If they didn't work there's no point in keeping them. That includes good shots that may be duplicate. I'll go through my shots from yesterday, I'm sure there were several that I haven't deleted yet.

I cull mine. If they didn't work there's no point in keeping them. That includes good shots that may be duplicate. I'll go through my shots from yesterday, I'm sure there were several that I haven't deleted yet.
That is fine Tim and that is digital people take it for granted, you take a shot look at it and delete if it was off or not what they expected, what a change from film days take a shot and wait to see if it worked out.

That is fine Tim and that is digital people take it for granted, you take a shot look at it and delete if it was off or not what they expected, what a change from film days take a shot and wait to see if it worked out.
I (usually) don't cull until I get them home, but as I go through the shots deciding what to process, I dump whatever isn't worth keeping. I prefer to save storage space.

I (usually) don't cull until I get them home, but as I go through the shots deciding what to process, I dump whatever isn't worth keeping. I prefer to save storage space.
I obviously dump the hopeless and usually delete near misses later after reviewing what I did wrong

I've seen guys say they never throw away anything. I can't afford that many backup drives!

Here you go, one from yesterday. The 80-200 proved to be a bit long for the task and I found myself backed all the way up to the neighboring ring. Not enough height to shoot horizontally, so I spun the camera to portrait. With the competitors filling the frame and moving around like they were, there were a few times they jumped out of the shot while shooting a burst.

52481428432_3627055814_o.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • 80-200mm F2.8
  • 80.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/800 sec
  • ISO 10000

Last edited:
I'm not sure this forum has enough bandwidth, provided of course everyone is honest about misses.

OOF BIF shots don't count, it's the nature of the beast. How about a nicely focused shot on half a bird?
I actually have one of those somewhere in my archives..... Shot lo these many, many moons ago! I'll have to see if I can find it. Not shot with a Sony, though, if that matters. It was way back when I was still getting accustomed to shooting with a digital camera and lens. Of course all of my bird shots with Sony lenses are perfect and stunning!!! (I see eyebrows raising -- yep, just kidding here!). Actually, like most of us I do tend to cull and discard when an image definitely isn't going to make the grade, and a lot of times I'll do a second review and /or even attempt editing and then decide that an image just can't be rescued, it has to go. I've always kept this missed BIF shot, though, as it just makes me laugh.....

Last edited:
I actually have one of those somewhere in my archives..... Shot lot these many, many moons ago! I'll have to see if I can find it. Not shot with a Sony, though, if that matters.
post it up mate if you find it

Took me a while, but I found it! This was shot back in the spring of 2006 with a Nikon D200 and I am guessing the 70-200mm lens I had then.....I was shooting from my deck as gulls were flying around, and, well, this guy moved faster than I was able to follow him!

DSC_2483a.jpg
  • NIKON D200
  • 200.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 10/6400 sec
  • ISO 800

Took me a while, but I found it! This was shot back in the spring of 2006 with a Nikon D200 and I am guessing the 70-200mm lens I had then.....I was shooting from my deck as gulls were flying around, and, well, this guy moved faster than I was able to follow him!

View attachment 27406
BIRD BUTT!!!! :ROFLMAO:

Back