Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
I just registered. It's the same store I have my deposit at. They're going to have one on hand along with a new 70-200 GM II for us to play with. I think I'll take my own SD card and bring some shots home to play with.

WOOT!

I would say “don’t take your credit card”, but you have already put down your deposit 😁

Just don’t pretend to be surprised if you order the new 70-200, too - all the reports are that it’s a big improvement on the old one.

Come hither and spend your greenbacks :)

The 70-200 isn't even on my radar, I have no use for it. I will likely end up with the 200-600 or Sigma's new 150-600.

My excitement stems from the fact that I'll be able to lay hands on the body and play with it at least 2 months before I expect to see it, and probably longer than that. It will also allow me the opportunity to decide if I want to go a different direction now, if it turns out I don't care for the camera.

Last edited:
Hell I would go, until they found out that I buy from B&H, then they would throw me out! :p

Hell I would go, until they found out that I buy from B&H, then they would throw me out! :p
I buy from B&H too if my local doesn't carry it. But, prices are the same at both places. I'd rather buy a camera body local than mail order, especially when it's a mom and pop I can support and one that will support me when needed. I have a great salesman. He's broken open kits before to sell me a lens I wanted and has given me super prices on a used lenses. He once gave me a collectible Argus model M for no other reason than he knew I'd appreciate it. B&H is great, but nothing matches a good local shop.

I buy from B&H too if my local doesn't carry it. But, prices are the same at both places. I'd rather buy a camera body local than mail order, especially when it's a mom and pop I can support and one that will support me when needed. I have a great salesman. He's broken open kits before to sell me a lens I wanted and has given me super prices on a used lenses. He once gave me a collectible Argus model M for no other reason than he knew I'd appreciate it. B&H is great, but nothing matches a good local shop.
A nice camera store would be a treat, to be sure. None in the town I live unless you consider Best Buy or other Big Box stores. Thered is one or to in Sacramento, 17 miles from me. I should take a look. The problem is Sales Tax. I have saved a lot of coin by shopping at B&H over the last year. Saved in the neighborhood of $800.

I'd go, test out the gear, and then buy on import and save myself a fortune. That would get me barred for life :D I just bought 2 lenses on import for less than one of them would have cost from a UK store.

A nice camera store would be a treat, to be sure. None in the town I live unless you consider Best Buy or other Big Box stores. Thered is one or to in Sacramento, 17 miles from me. I should take a look. The problem is Sales Tax. I have saved a lot of coin by shopping at B&H over the last year. Saved in the neighborhood of $800.
While that's a consideration, I don't think a few hundred shekels is worth the good will. Sales tax on this camera in MI will be $150. If something happens and I need assistance or service, there's a place to go where I can actually walk in and speak with someone. The one thing they can't compete on when it comes to used gear is selection. Even though I check with them first, I usually end up at MPB/KEH/Used Photo Pro/etc.

Had a chance to play with the camera. Unfortunately they weren't letting anyone take photos. I had taken an SD card with the hope of bringing home a few images to pay with on the computer. He said the camera was an early pre-production model and had some glitches that needed to be corrected. Not sure I believe him, but whatever.

Everything was as expected. I like the new menu system. The camera is fairly comfortable, but would feel better with the pinky extender. Nothing earth shattering. I had a chance to check out the 12-24, 16-35, 200-600, and a few others. Also held a 7C and some of the APSCs. I asked when Sony would introduce a pro APSC, he said the reps have been begging for one for years.

He wouldn't let me touch the IV with the new 70-200 until I held a III with the old 70-200. There is a substantial difference. I don't mean like: "Ok, that feels lighter.", more like "HOLEEE CRAP, that's way lighter!". Really nice lens. Not on my radar, and if I had the old version I doubt I'd get rid of it and spring for the new. I suspect some people will and that may make the old version a good used value.

I found out my local store is a "Sony Small Store" with priority status, so I think I may get in on the first round. What I don't know (and what they won't tell me) is how far down the list I am, although they did say I'm "near the top". I guess if the list has 100 people on it, #49 could be considered "near the top."

Anyway, I got a little SWAG and can confirm the camera is real.

Had a chance to play with the camera. Unfortunately they weren't letting anyone take photos. I had taken an SD card with the hope of bringing home a few images to pay with on the computer. He said the camera was an early pre-production model and had some glitches that needed to be corrected. Not sure I believe him, but whatever.

Everything was as expected. I like the new menu system. The camera is fairly comfortable, but would feel better with the pinky extender. Nothing earth shattering. I had a chance to check out the 12-24, 16-35, 200-600, and a few others. Also held a 7C and some of the APSCs. I asked when Sony would introduce a pro APSC, he said the reps have been begging for one for years.

He wouldn't let me touch the IV with the new 70-200 until I held a III with the old 70-200. There is a substantial difference. I don't mean like: "Ok, that feels lighter.", more like "HOLEEE CRAP, that's way lighter!". Really nice lens. Not on my radar, and if I had the old version I doubt I'd get rid of it and spring for the new. I suspect some people will and that may make the old version a good used value.

I found out my local store is a "Sony Small Store" with priority status, so I think I may get in on the first round. What I don't know (and what they won't tell me) is how far down the list I am, although they did say I'm "near the top". I guess if the list has 100 people on it, #49 could be considered "near the top."

Anyway, I got a little SWAG and can confirm the camera is real.
That's cool. Thanks for sharing. I wonder how much different the production camera will be different than Pre-production model..

Last edited:
That's cool. Thanks for sharing. I wonder how much differnt the proc-duction camera will be different than Pre-production.
I don't think any different. I understood it to mean that they hadn't worked all the bugs out or did all of the updates before they sent the reps these samples, and they didn't want something to go wrong while a prospective customer was taking photos.

Nice feedback, especially about the lens and the grip on the camera. I don't know why Sony insist on having small grips on cameras. I don't have big hands, but when I looked at the A9ii I had to put the pinky extender on to make it feel comfortable. The RIV is much better, perfect for me actually.

Back