Sony A7 III Locking multi-function wheel on back of A7III

nickstern1

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Nicholas Stern
Hi, As a press photographer I've recently switched to Sony A7 from Nikon (used Nikon for 25 years).
Generally I like the Sony A7III however they need to work on the interface. It's horrible.

I've recently run into an issue where I've gone to use the camera and the settings have changed.

As a news photographer I leave the camera 'on' when I'm covering a fast paced new event. A second or two as the camera is switched on can be a missed shot.
On occasions I've quickly grabbed the camera and pressed the shutter and NOTHING happens. On inspection I've found the Drive mode has changed from Continuous Hi to 3 sec or 10 sec timer, or the ISO has changed from 400 to something completely different.
Clearly the rear multi function control on the rear has based against my body and altered the settings.

The "Lock" function seems to lock the rotary controls at the top of the camera and the rotation control around the multi function wheel but not the toggle action of the multi function wheel.

This is REALLY annoying and a problem!
Any solutions?

These are the "lock" options:

Menu item details

Off: Does not lock the multi-selector, front dial, rear dial, or control wheel even if you press and hold down the Fn (Function) button.
Multi-Selector Only: Locks the multi-selector.
Dial + Wheel: Locks the front dial, rear dial, and control wheel.
All: Locks the multi-selector, front dial, rear dial, and control wheel.

Thanks for that , but it doesn't seem to work as intended or Im misunderstanding the function.
I've gone to the camera menu(2) - Lock operational parts - All ( and tried Multi selector only)
The held the Fn button until 'locked' is displayed.

After doing this I press the 'ISO' side of the multi selector or 'Drive' side and these setting can be altered so it's clearly not locking.

Thanks for that , but it doesn't seem to work as intended or Im misunderstanding the function.
I've gone to the camera menu(2) - Lock operational parts - All ( and tried Multi selector only)
The held the Fn button until 'locked' is displayed.

After doing this I press the 'ISO' side of the multi selector or 'Drive' side and these setting can be altered so it's clearly not locking.
It's the same behaviour on mine I'm afraid and my other cameras. The rear top dial is locked and the rear wheel but not the buttons on the wheel. Maybe not ideal for you but as a workaround you could always remove the functions from this wheel, then if you do need to change them you'll have to hit the Fn button. You can do this under Menu > Camera2 > Custom Operation 1 > Custom Key > Then set these function buttons (left, right, down) to "not set".

Back