Birds Marsh Harrier and the cropping power of the A7RIV....

Uncle Kevriano

Legendary Member
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Uncle Kev 😆
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Ormesby St Margaret
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I am still constantly impressed by just how much cropping you can get away with on the A7RIV and still keep some usable, if not printable, shots. These look fine to me. Taken today, in crop mode and then cropped in post. I have included one of the original shots for comparison.

DSC04168-2 copy.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 2500

DSC04170 copy.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 2500
DSC04190 copy.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/400 sec
  • ISO 1250
DSC04202 copy.jpg
  • ILCE-7RM4
  • 600.0 mm
  • ƒ/6.3
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 1250

I talk about this quite often Kev. Sometimes I'm left with 5 or 6mp images after shredding it to near death. I then put it up on my large screen in the lounge room and although not perfect, it's still completely acceptable. 🙂

Kev, this cropability (Is that a word?) thing has me lusting after the A7RV. I actually never lusted after the A7RIV but the RV is exactly like my A7IV with the 61 MP sensor and some AF improvements. Same body, same controls, same menus as the A7IV. I'm head over heels for the A7IV and the RV would be great, just for the cropping ability. Lord knows I don't need it, but that doesn't keep me from wanting it. I just havn't figure out how to pay for it is all! As it stands now, my camera Mentor says crop away, but not below 4K and you should be good. As long as your image is 3840 pixels on the long side, you're probably above 4K. I have done the math on a great number of my crops (Length x Width should be 8.3 MP or better to adhere to the 4K rule. I never gave a hoot for the 61MP idea until I photographed the California Capitol Airshow a couple of month ago. I just wanted photos that looked like I could crawl into the air intakes! OK, so I have issues, So what!

Last edited:
@Clint. Cheers, yes these are cropped down from 74mb RAW to 2.5- 3mb processed.

@Jeff. I'm waiting on real world reviews about the AF on the RV, as I would love an A1/A9 focussing ability for bird tracking combined with the 61mp. It's price is a bit daft IMO though, so it probably won't happen. Re funding though. You can't take it with you, so why not spend it :D

@Jeff. I'm waiting on real world reviews about the AF on the RV, as I would love an A1/A9 focussing ability for bird tracking combined with the 61mp. It's price is a bit daft IMO though, so it probably won't happen. Re funding though. You can't take it with you, so why not spend it :D
Kev maybe Mr Mayo can do A review on his 7rv he did post a shot from one yesterday

Excellent captures Kev..
I love my A7R4 for that very reason…

I am still constantly impressed by just how much cropping you can get away with on the A7RIV and still keep some usable, if not printable, shots. These look fine to me. Taken today, in crop mode and then cropped in post. I have included one of the original shots for comparison.
This has far less to do with the camera than it does the photographer. Nicely done.

Kev maybe Mr Mayo can do A review on his 7rv he did post a shot from one yesterday

Yes awaiting his findings with interest, this deep learning thing has me intrigued.
Thanks Keith and to Tim... aww shucks :)

Yes awaiting his findings with interest, this deep learning thing has me intrigued.
Thanks Keith and to Tim... aww shucks :)
It doesn't sound think like it's deep learning, at all. Once you get past the hype it sounds more like they've already taught it everything it's ever going to know. The camera simply takes what you tell it to recognize, like a person, and it uses the programmed knowledge to improve focus. The difference from the current crop is that with its own processor, the information it has to draw on is vast and more detailed.

At least this is the most recent info I've seen. Perhaps Tim can clarify the differences in the descriptions.

It doesn't sound think like it's deep learning, at all. Once you get past the hype it sounds more like they've already taught it everything it's ever going to know. The camera simply takes what you tell it to recognize, like a person, and it uses the programmed knowledge to improve focus.

At least this is the most recent info I've seen. Perhaps Tim can clarify the differences in the descriptions.
If I bought it what would I have to do I am not sure there is anything about the new ai I need or want?

It doesn't sound think like it's deep learning, at all. Once you get past the hype it sounds more like they've already taught it everything it's ever going to know. The camera simply takes what you tell it to recognize, like a person, and it uses the programmed knowledge to improve focus. The difference from the current crop is that with its own processor, the information it has to draw on is vast and more detailed.

Ahhh yes, well, deep fake then :D To be honest, I was sceptical anyway, so it's just an AF system in line with the most up to date systems being used by Sony and others. That's not to say that the RIV wouldn't benefit from that kind of system, because it lags behind on AF for BIF for sure, and especially eye AF, which it doesn't have. A mate has a Canon R6 (yes I know I should defriend him) but his BIF shots are very well focussed every time, where I have to work much harder for it. I don't, however, feel that such a system warrants the price hike!

Ahhh yes, well, deep fake then :D To be honest, I was sceptical anyway, so it's just an AF system in line with the most up to date systems being used by Sony and others. That's not to say that the RIV wouldn't benefit from that kind of system, because it lags behind on AF for BIF for sure, and especially eye AF, which it doesn't have. A mate has a Canon R6 (yes I know I should defriend him) but his BIF shots are very well focussed every time, where I have to work much harder for it. I don't, however, feel that such a system warrants the price hike!
Again, this is the latest I've heard, the truth is likely somewhere in between.

If I bought it what would I have to do I am not sure there is anything about the new ai I need or want?
The AF should be freakin' outstanding. The difference in AF capability between my A7M4 and A7RM3 is astounding, even without all this new stuff. I would image that AI or not it will still set a new bar for AF.

Come on 33MP A9M3!!!!!

As I've said previously, the AI naming is absolutely BS. They used AI instead of human engineers to do the learning protocols for the system, that is all. Meaning they give the sack to maybe 100 engineers or something because now a computer is doing their job, then they falsely label the system as AI so the consumer gets on board with it.

I am not saying the new AF system isn't amazing for even one second, all I'm saying is that I will never be in support of people losing their jobs for this AI movement, and while people continue buying these products it will only get worse and worse. I guess it doesn't matter until you lose your job though, then you sit there scratching your head as to how this happened. It's coming, and each and everyone of us could make a difference if we act right now. It's up to you, but in a couple of years don't say I didn't warn you...

Again, this is the latest I've heard, the truth is likely somewhere in between.

It isn't somewhere in between. The whole point of AI is that it is basically alive and absorbs information and becomes smarter for it. The camera doesn't do that, so it's not AI. That is legitimate fact, it's not even a discussion...

It isn't somewhere in between. The whole point of AI is that it is basically alive and absorbs information and becomes smarter for it. The camera doesn't do that, so it's not AI. That is legitimate fact, it's not even a discussion...
Do you have a cite? Not that you're wrong, I suspect you're correct. Before I state something unequivocally, I'd like to see the evidence.

Please.

Everyone knows what AI is. As far as the world is concerned AI is technology that can learn from use and improve itself. That may be a loose interpretation and not to your liking, but it doesn't change the common use of the word. If Sony has met the colloquial standard that's acceptable.

I have found reviews that say the camera has it, I have found reviews that say it doesn't. I can easily believe Sony would hype the marketing angle. However, the term 'deep learning' keeps popping up.

Show me a cite saying what Sony has done in the A7RV is not AI.

I pretty much adhere to the "spend it" program, it's just that there is nothing to spend right now. :mad:

Please.

Everyone knows what AI is. As far as the world is concerned AI is technology that can learn from use and improve itself. That may be a loose interpretation and not to your liking, but it doesn't change the common use of the word. If Sony has met the colloquial standard that's acceptable.

I have found reviews that say the camera has it, I have found reviews that say it doesn't. I can easily believe Sony would hype the marketing angle. However, the term 'deep learning' keeps popping up.

Show me a cite saying what Sony has done in the A7RV is not AI.

If you've found both mate, then you've only seen the information I've seen.

I can see how they could have used AI to program the system, seeming that we already see things constantly in our every day lives which are programmed via this route, so that is nothing ground breaking in general. But I can't see any information indicating that it actually deep learns anything. So apart from simply using the words 'deep learning', what deep learning do these claims actually refer to?

If you've found both mate, then you've only seen the information I've seen.

I can see how they could have used AI to program the system, seeming that we already see things constantly in our every day lives which are programmed via this route, so that is nothing ground breaking in general. But I can't see any information indicating that it actually deep learns anything. So apart from simply using the words 'deep learning', what deep learning do these claims actually refer to?
That's what I'm thinking too.

@Timothy Mayo has one. C'mon Tim, is it learning?

Maybe for the RVII. It will also be connected to your AI and Cloud controlled biometrics system, so once it knows you have been outside of your allocated living zone for longer than the approved time you were given, or it senses you're in the vicinity of someone you aren't allowed to associate with, it will send a message to the cloud for a driverless electric car to come get you. Better get in otherwise you will have points deducted from your social credit score then you won't be able to use your camera if your score gets too low.

On the way home you're thinking how much you'd like a steak and a beer to top off this lovely three hours you were allowed to spend in another district taking photos. Only to realise you've already used too many carbon credits this week and can only have the lab grown GMO fake meat instead and no beer.

I know it might not sound like an exciting future but at least your autofocus will be top notch! The upsides of AI are being used in order to blind side everyone of the true nature of what it has been designed for...

Maybe for the RVII. It will also be connected to your AI and Cloud controlled biometrics system, so once it knows you have been outside of your allocated living zone for longer than the approved time you were given, or it senses you're in the vicinity of someone you aren't allowed to associate with, it will send a message to the cloud for a driverless electric car to come get you. Better get in otherwise you will have points deducted from your social credit score then you won't be able to use your camera if your score gets too low.

On the way home you're thinking how much you'd like a steak and a beer to top off this lovely three hours you were allowed to spend in another district taking photos. Only to realise you've already used too many carbon credits this week and can only have the lab grown GMO fake meat instead and no beer.

I know it might not sound like an exciting future but at least your autofocus will be top notch! The upsides of AI are being used in order to blind side everyone of the true nature of what it has been designed for...
Why Clint, have you been seeing a lot of black helicopters lately? Wearing tinfoil? Have your basement windows lined with lead?

Why Clint, have you been seeing a lot of black helicopters lately? Wearing tinfoil? Have your basement windows lined with lead?

No. I just listen to what the World Economic Forum are saying. Then I look at governments around the world and see that 80% of them are people who work for the World Economic Forum, and you see bills and things getting passed nearly everyday which coincide perfectly with all of this. So I just put two and two together. It really doesn't require much research to connect it all up...

There are a few states in Canada and the US where it is actually illegal for a parent to intervene with their five year old child having a sex change. If this doesn't ring alarm bells that there is something absolutely sinister occurring in the world right now then I'm really not sure what else will...

There are a few states in Canada and the US where it is actually illegal for a parent to intervene with their five year old child having a sex change. If this doesn't ring alarm bells that there is something absolutely sinister occurring in the world right now then I'm really not sure what else will...
Yeah, so I'm trying to lighten up the conversation before it gets carried away. The problem is you're working your way right into a political debate. I learned a long time ago that my personal views don't necessarily align with much of the photographic and artistic communities, so I avoid those types of discussions in these venues.

Yeah, so I'm trying to lighten up the conversation before it gets carried away. The problem is you're working your way right into a political debate. I learned a long time ago that my personal views don't necessarily align with much of the photographic and artistic communities, so I avoid those types of discussions in these venues.

I'm an Anarchist, I believe that there is no place in the world for government whatsoever.

Anyway, we've had our mini tiff for the week now Timmy. So, until next time... 😄

Don't think of them as 'tiffs' think of them as PNGs! :D

That's what I'm thinking too.

@Timothy Mayo has one. C'mon Tim, is it learning?
Mine arrived the other week but all it's learning right now is that the British weather at this time of year is pretty naff. If I'm lucky the sun might make an appearance later this week though! :)

Back