Sony A1 Metering - does spot meter move with tracking?

GracieAllen

Well Known Member
Followers
Following
Name
David Perez
Sony Alpha 1 with firmware 1.30.

I'm testing and playing, trying to get used to the strange new universe of mirrorless. And after 20-years of digital Nikon DSLRs, trying to translate Nikon-ish to Sony-ish.

If I'm shooting with the metering in multi and focus is in Tracking Wide, I expect conditions with overcast sky and white-ish, sort of backlit, seagulls to result in "dark" birds. Just in general, between the heavy overcast, backlighting and wind blowing it was not optimal conditions for playing.

But, if I switch to small or medium spot (or expanding spot) with tracking, and change the metering to Standard Spot, does the metering move WITH the focus spot and with the tracking? I presume it does, but I'm confirming...

If I’m in Tracking WIDE and using the spot meter, does it meter only within the spot that’s currently in focus and move with the tracking?

There is a setting on the A1, under the focus menu section for linking the metering function with the tracking function.

As long as you have tracking implemented and link it with metering they will work together.

In wide area and matrix metering matrix metering will remain across the wide area(entire viewfinder area)

If you go to Mark Galer on you tube he has a very detailed youtube video on the A1 set up which covers the
above and other matters in deep detail..and worth 45 minutes or so of your time if you are just coming to terms
with the A1. It is way beyond, in my view, as a prior Nikon shooter, of anything you will have experienced with Nikon
unless you have been shooting with the Z9 which is closer.......

hope this helps

I've watched several of the Mark Galer videos, and continue to watch them - they are quite good. I don't recall seeing anything specific on linking metering to tracking, but there are a number of things in the menus I STILL don't know what they do.

I just looked in the AF/MF menu for anything that looked like it would link metering to tracking but didn't find anything I could identify. I tried a couple different internet searches and they didn't show me anything for the Alpha 1 either - can you be more explicit about what it's called and what menu I'm likely to find it on?

Go to section 3 under the menu "exposure /colour" and select metering and you will see a further
item "spot metering point" in selecting this item you will see the option to set metering at "center "or with f"ocus point link"....
select focus point linkl and you are good to go for tracking focus point and metering operating at the same Image point...........

I've watched several of the Mark Galer videos, and continue to watch them - they are quite good. I don't recall seeing anything specific on linking metering to tracking, but there are a number of things in the menus I STILL don't know what they do.

I just looked in the AF/MF menu for anything that looked like it would link metering to tracking but didn't find anything I could identify. I tried a couple different internet searches and they didn't show me anything for the Alpha 1 either - can you be more explicit about what it's called and what menu I'm likely to find it on?
It would be worth your while to become a Mark Galer Patron. It would cost $10.00 US but his A1 eBook alone is worth much more than that. I have been a Patron for 8 or 9 months and there is so much content to see and download. Being able to Post to his Q&A Forum has great value as well.

Hi Davis
I'll check it out.
HI David...did you check this out.......

Go to section 3 under the menu "exposure /colour" and select metering and you will see a further item "spot metering point" in selecting this item you will see the option to set metering at "center "or with f"ocus point link".... select "focus point link" and you are good to go for linked metering and focus point tracking...

Yup, found it. That SEEMS to work so far. I presume if I put the metering on spot, it'll work regardless of the Focus area, using the currently in-focus "spot", but I haven't gotten to that level of testing yet.

Back