Followers
Following
Name
Tim
Country
United States
City/State
SE Michigan
@antonioxrosa's post got me to thinking about this. Microfiber cloths are everywhere. They are sent out free when you buy this gadget or that, in all types of quality from cheap to nice. I even have one that came in a little bag that says Sony on it from the local rep. They're convenient and the texture does a nice job, but...

Have you ever washed your cloths? Why not? Every time you pick one up you transfer oil from your fingers to the cloth. Oil, even in miniscule quantities, is sticky. It will attract and hold microscopic dust particles that can and will (eventually) scratch your lenses. It's important to keep them clean and store them in a plastic bag. A baggie will work if the bag it came in is lost or torn.

Better to purchase good quality lens tissues. They can be had very inexpensively, usually 20, 50, or 100 per pack. I'll buy a bunch and put a pack in each bag so they're there when I need them.

Blow the lens off first with your breath or a blower (NEVER use your breath on a sensor!), then use a lens tissue and a 'huff' of air from your lungs for condensation. If a lens is really dirty, blow it off first then use a lens cleaning solution or lens towelette before finishing with a huff and a tissue. Start cleaning in small circles working your way out from the center of the lens.

Keep the microfibers for a quick on-the-fly wipe in the field, but keep them clean!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled forum...

@antonioxrosa's post got me to thinking about this. Microfiber cloths are everywhere. They are sent out free when you buy this gadget or that, in all types of quality from cheap to nice. I even have one that came in a little bag that says Sony on it from the local rep. They're convenient and the texture does a nice job, but...

Have you ever washed your cloths? Why not? Every time you pick one up you transfer oil from your fingers to the cloth. Oil, even in miniscule quantities, is sticky. It will attract and hold microscopic dust particles that can and will (eventually) scratch your lenses. It's important to keep them clean and store them in a plastic bag. A baggie will work if the bag it came in is lost or torn.

Better to purchase good quality lens tissues. They can be had very inexpensively, usually 20, 50, or 100 per pack. I'll buy a bunch and put a pack in each bag so they're there when I need them.

Blow the lens off first with your breath or a blower (NEVER use your breath on a sensor!), then use a lens tissue and a 'huff' of air from your lungs for condensation. If a lens is really dirty, blow it off first then use a lens cleaning solution or lens towelette before finishing with a huff and a tissue. Start cleaning in small circles working your way out from the center of the lens.

Keep the microfibers for a quick on-the-fly wipe in the field, but keep them clean!

I wash my microfiber cloths by hand with a bit of dish soap and then hang them to dry (inside) I never wash them in the laundry where they would pick up lint (also laundry usually has fabric softener which is a microfiber no-no). You should also be careful where you put those microfiber cloths, because shoving them in your pocket just allows them to pick up lint. I usually have a dedicated zipper section of my camera bag for them. A small ziplock bag would also be a good storage idea for them.

Last edited:
Great ideas and a nice post. Can never be too caring when it comes to our babies!

I know some people like myself are absolutely pedantic when it comes to storing and handling camera gear in general. I clean the camera body, lenses and tripod used every time I go out, and have separate slots in my main bag or separate cases for everything so nothing ever gets marked or rests against one another. While I'm out I'll see other photographers with shoulder bags with no dividers or anything and just have lenses and bodies all chucked in there hitting against each other, it makes me want to cry... How are you with your equipment?

How are you with your equipment?
Bags all have dividers. Lenses get cleaned when needed. Not sure I even remember the last time I wiped down a camera body, it would've probably been when I was replacing light seals on one of my film cameras. Not that there's anything wrong with it, I just don't do it. The glass and sensor are king when it comes to cleaning though.

Fully agree. Personally I only use them to clean the camera and my glasses. To clean lens on the field I only use blower and if absolutely necessary the lens pen (the brush most of the cases) At home when necessary I use kit in the photo.

Attachments

• AAACF05C-347F-491E-A4F4-75771018A276.jpeg
    AAACF05C-347F-491E-A4F4-75771018A276.jpeg
    423.3 KB · Views: 18
I keep a rocket blower in a plastic baggie and when I notice a few dust spots on images while processing I know it's time to give the camera a session with the blower. Occasionally I also use the automatic cleaning available in the cameras themselves, too. I have never had to clean my sensors with liquid and hope I never have to do so! I also have a microfibre cloth in the bag with the blower but don't use it that often on my lenses. I do occasionally use the blower on my lenses, though, as well as around the eyecup on the camera body.

I do have Zeiss wipes, which I use mainly on my eyeglasses lenses, but I am a bit leery of using them on my camera lenses because I am concerned that the alcohol will have a negative impact on the coating the lenses have. In the past I used to put protective filters on all my lenses but I have found that some lenses do better without any filter on them at all. In general I tend not to mess too much with lenses or camera bodies unless there is a definite need to do some cleaning.

The glass and sensor are king when it comes to cleaning though.

When I had my A6400 with non gasketed lenses I had to fully clean the sensor at least every fortnight. I noticed once I had weather sealed everything that I just need to use a lens pen on it to grab a couple of specks every now and then that don't blow off.

Back