Twistofer56

Newcomer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Tristan Kohut
I am looking for my next prime lens - probably a normal - wide angle compliment to my Sony 85mm f1.8 OSS. for the most part, I’ve got the ranges covered between my Sony 24-105mm and 70-300mm zooms. I’m looking for an all-around lens which can be used indoors in ambient light. Any suggestions are welcome. I use an A7c body

Hello Tristan welcome to the forum.

It is probably not the best policy to fill out your lens range based on perceived gaps unless you have first given
serious thought to your true shooting needs(genres, specialities etc)...to do other wise and you could be left with
a new lens sitting on your lens shelf gathering dust for long periods.

You dont mention anything of what you actually prefer to shoot ..... developing your photographic equipment holding
should always address your specific needs which may differ widely from others.

You don't for example have an ultra wide lens (sub 24mm) or such a lens with low light capability...that said an ultra wide is
probably not so important if you are not into landscapes, whereas if you are a keen street shooter a 20mm f1.8 would be useful.

You mention internal internal ambient use, by ambient you mean naturally lit or ambient building lighting ? and again if it is for
the purpose of internal real estate photography you will certainly need a lowlight 20mm or even wider......

Your only low light lens seems to be your 85mm which is more recognised as a portrait lens and has a quite narrow angle of view....
and to use this indoors, again subject to your needs, may be limiting if you are doing anything other than portraits for example.

Hope the above helps your understanding of the point .... if you are give some indication of what you are now or wish to shoot,
in the future then myself and other forum members will be happy to provide you with further guidance.

Hello Tristan welcome to the forum.

It is probably not the best policy to fill out your lens range based on perceived gaps unless you have first given
serious thought to your true shooting needs(genres, specialities etc)...to do other wise and you could be left with
a new lens sitting on your lens shelf gathering dust for long periods.

You dont mention anything of what you actually prefer to shoot ..... developing your photographic equipment holding
should always address your specific needs which may differ widely from others.

You don't for example have an ultra wide lens (sub 24mm) or such a lens with low light capability...that said an ultra wide is
probably not so important if you are not into landscapes, whereas if you are a keen street shooter a 20mm f1.8 would be useful.

You mention internal internal ambient use, by ambient you mean naturally lit or ambient building lighting ? and again if it is for
the purpose of internal real estate photography you will certainly need a lowlight 20mm or even wider......

Your only low light lens seems to be your 85mm which is more recognised as a portrait lens and has a quite narrow angle of view....
and to use this indoors, again subject to your needs, may be limiting if you are doing anything other than portraits for example.

Hope the above helps your understanding of the point .... if you are give some indication of what you are now or wish to shoot,
in the future then myself and other forum members will be happy to provide you with further guidance.
Thanks for your guidance. What do I shoot?

I'm not a professional and I'd consider myself a serious amateur. My 85mm was intended for a portrait type lens -- both indoor and outdoor. For example, I'd like to use it for photographing people at Christmas sitting/standing in front of our big Christmas tree at Church. Similarly, I'd look for something with a wider field of view so I could include multiple people in a similar situation, yet I don't want to be "in somebody's face," so to speak. Would perhaps a 35mm or 28mm be more to my needs?

My other photographic passion is Nature...both some "close-ups" of wildlife and plants. Landscapes may be something in the future...

Maybe I need to focus on my two zooms (Pun intended)? Also is f2.0 sufficient?

Thanks for your guidance. What do I shoot?

I'm not a professional and I'd consider myself a serious amateur. My 85mm was intended for a portrait type lens -- both indoor and outdoor. For example, I'd like to use it for photographing people at Christmas sitting/standing in front of our big Christmas tree at Church. Similarly, I'd look for something with a wider field of view so I could include multiple people in a similar situation, yet I don't want to be "in somebody's face," so to speak. Would perhaps a 35mm or 28mm be more to my needs?

My other photographic passion is Nature...both some "close-ups" of wildlife and plants. Landscapes may be something in the future...

Maybe I need to focus on my two zooms (Pun intended)? Also is f2.0 sufficient?
The 85mm with a narrow field of view will not be a good choice for group photos in front of the tree it will be too narrow and to get full body you will have to step back quite a way to do that , the best you will do with the 85mm is half body for group situations and you will probably need wider to get the full xmas tree in view.

Your 24-105mm is a good more general lens but at f4 could be limited using it internally, without using a flash perhaps.....

Yes f2 is probably OK for most lower light situations but for night shooting lower would be better but again can be compensated for by flash......

Unless you are looking for 1:1 macro shots of wildlife /plants your 70-300 should be ok for "close - ups"...but is at the limits of very close wild animals and birds photography as it is not usually possible to get close and normally a 400mm focal length and above is normally regarded as best.

A 28 or 35mm is considered wide but for larger groups you may find your 24mm-105mm albeit at f4 will be better at 24mm

Unless you have more specific needs for an ultra wide, than i have mentioned above, it seems your current lenses are probably ok for now
as you develop your skill sets and experience ....

The 85mm with a narrow field of view will not be a good choice for group photos in front of the tree it will be too narrow and to get full body you will have to step back quite a way to do that , the best you will do with the 85mm is half body for group situations and you will probably need wider to get the full xmas tree in view.

Your 24-105mm is a good more general lens but at f4 could be limited using it internally, without using a flash perhaps.....

Yes f2 is probably OK for most lower light situations but for night shooting lower would be better but again can be compensated for by flash......

Unless you are looking for 1:1 macro shots of wildlife /plants your 70-300 should be ok for "close - ups"...but is at the limits of very close wild animals and birds photography as it is not usually possible to get close and normally a 400mm focal length and above is normally regarded as best.

A 28 or 35mm is considered wide but for larger groups you may find your 24mm-105mm albeit at f4 will be better at 24mm

Unless you have more specific needs for an ultra wide, than i have mentioned above, it seems your current lenses are probably ok for now
as you develop your skill sets and experience ....
Greatly appreciated...The 85mm was for "bust type" photos. The tree is mostly for background. Thank you for the reality check...
I am toying with the idea of the SONY FE 35mm f1.8 as my "normal" lens.

PS: I did skimp a little and converted my Tokina 400mm f8 reflex to the Sony mount...all be it manual focus.
😉
Remember, I'm an "old dog" from the days of stone knives, bear skins and manual focus cameras...(aka Nikon FM2)
😂

I am looking for my next prime lens - probably a normal - wide angle compliment to my Sony 85mm f1.8 OSS. for the most part, I’ve got the ranges covered between my Sony 24-105mm and 70-300mm zooms. I’m looking for an all-around lens which can be used indoors in ambient light. Any suggestions are welcome. I use an A7c body
I can reply by saying my most used lens without a doubt is my Sony FE 20mm f/1.8. It is a very sharp lens and it is relatively small and light. It is a Sony G Series lens but has most of the features that are found on the G Master Series lenses.

Greatly appreciated...The 85mm was for "bust type" photos. The tree is mostly for background. Thank you for the reality check...
I am toying with the idea of the SONY FE 35mm f1.8 as my "normal" lens.

PS: I did skimp a little and converted my Tokina 400mm f8 reflex to the Sony mount...all be it manual focus.
😉
Remember, I'm an "old dog" from the days of stone knives, bear skins and manual focus cameras...(aka Nikon FM2)
😂
Look into the Samyang 35/1.4. It's the only E Prime I own. Last time I checked KEH had a bunch of factory refurbs with 1-year warranty for about $350. I got mine there. It punches well above its weight.

I've found this calculator handy when I want to quickly sort out the Field of View a lens will provide in a given circumstance.

Using your Christmas Tree example and this calculator, a 28mm lens would provide a 10' wide FOV from 8' away. A 35 would provide an 8' wide FOV from the same distance. A 20 almost doubles that to 14'. Enter your distance and different lenses to get an idea of which would be best for your needs. Of course this isn't the gospel, just another tool to help make your decision.

In my film days everyone had a 50 and a 28. I like the 35 as a nice in-between do-it-all since I don't use primes all that much.

https://www.scantips.com/lights/fieldofview.html#top

I think you might be happy with the 20mm G or the 24mm GM. I like a bit wider than narrow so I have the 20mm G, it's also a brilliant little versatile street monster as well, easy to tuck under the shirt when it's raining and makes an A7 body feel very compact. Insanely sharp with lovely colour rendering too.

View the Latest Sony Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Back