Followers
Following
Name
Fred Hood
Country
United States
City/State
Arizona
Is anyone here a member of NANPA (North American Nature Photography Association)? I have known of them for years but never bothered to join because I don't see the benefit (and a hundred bucks a year seems a bit steep). I was recently reintroduced to them when I met a member who informed me their 2023 annual summit will be in my city of Tucson. Any experiences will be appreciated, specifically what your hundred bucks gets you.

I just found this thread on Backcountry Gallery, asking the same question. A couple people tout the benefits, but the general consensus seems to be my inclination: there is no tangible benefit considering the steep membership cost. At least two posters say the benefit is having a "collective voice" yet neither one cites a specific example of an issue where that made a difference.

I've been a member of NANPA for 5 years. The membership fee is well worth it, IMO. As a member, their available insurance is excellent. Their international yearly photo competitions are great, and the results are published in a very professional, excellent quality large magazine. Several of my entries have won, and resulted in a number of prints being sold. They have numerous regional events you can attend and much more. Lots of very inspiring work
https://nanpa.org/ - check it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Sandy R-B Glad to hear some positive feedback and I appreciate your input. I am curious about one statement and wonder if you can elaborate. "Several of my entries have won, and resulted in a number of prints being sold." Since the members are (presumably) all photographers themselves, who is buying your prints? Do members see the winning images and order them? Or is the fact that you won a way to promote the images on your own site for sale to outsiders, eg by placing a symbol next to it saying NANPA award winner?

Hi Fred - the printed magazine may be ordered by anyone (given to every member) , and the Showcase winners and top 250 (I think) are placed online, for anyone to see and/or order. https://nanpa.org/category/nanpa/showcase-2022/
Well worth it, imo
I clicked on your link and found this as one of the showcase winners: https://nanpa.org/2022/04/15/showcase-2022-winner-dave-hattori-2/
This might be to some people's taste as fine art, or creative renditions, or whatever you want to call it. But it is NOT nature photography by any conventional sense of the term. I am not saying there is no place for this type of work or that it is not good work, I am just saying it is a completley different genre from what I would envision NANPA to be about. It leaves me confused about their purpose. I am just one person, though, and obviously they don't need to cater to me and there are a lot of people like you (and the member I recently met) who find value in the membership.

Hey guys, all is cool unless you join NAMBLA!

Reviving this thread due to a new controversy with NANPA. I did end up joining, primarily for a discount for the 2023 annual summit in my city, but otherwise I see no benefit and have now decided I do not want to attend the summit. I had already decided I would not renew my membership, but with the controversy that erupted over the last two days I would not renew even if I had intended on renewing.

The NANPA board entered into secret negotiations with ASMP (American Society of Media Photographers) to form a merger, which they announced formally on their website a day or two ago. It appears to be more of a takeover than a merger, as ASMP will still be the name of the new organization and it will still be run out of ASMP headquarters in San Francisco. The night before I saw the website announcement I got an email from Art Morris (BirdsAsArt) and three other founding members lambasting the (as of then) secret negotiations. According to NANPA the purpose is to strengthen both organizations but according to the founding members' email it is to add a paying membership base to ASMP because they are in financial trouble. The email from the founding members also contains allegations of incompetence on the part of NANPA president. Either way, I am out and I regret joining.

I clicked on your link and found this as one of the showcase winners: https://nanpa.org/2022/04/15/showcase-2022-winner-dave-hattori-2/
This might be to some people's taste as fine art, or creative renditions, or whatever you want to call it. But it is NOT nature photography by any conventional sense of the term. I am not saying there is no place for this type of work or that it is not good work, I am just saying it is a completley different genre from what I would envision NANPA to be about. It leaves me confused about their purpose. I am just one person, though, and obviously they don't need to cater to me and there are a lot of people like you (and the member I recently met) who find value in the membership.
Fred, the Nanpa main page showcases a different image-winner every day. You just happened to click on a "Photo Art" type image. Most are regular wildlife images. However, I'm not a fan of politics. Sandy

Back