New Mirror Telephoto

Welcome to the New Sony Alpha Shooters Community
Our community was only launched in August 2020 but is already thriving thanks to many amazing and helpful members. We'd love to welcome you on board too!
Join Now

Boojum

Well Known Member
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 9, 2021
Name
Sandy
Country
United States
City/State
Astoria, Oregon
Got sucked in on eBay again and got a second copy of the Tamron 500 mm f/8.0 mirror lens. This one is the second generation which is supposed to have better resolution and color. Caution and age keep me in the house during this pandemic. I go out rarely rather than risk infection. Yes, I have had both shots and am due for a booster. But this isn't our class on General Health. What I have posted is a humble photo of the phone pole between me and the harbor. For a US$135 lens I'd say that version 2 of the Tamron is better. It also came with a UV filter fore and aft besides being in A+ condition. All I wish that version 2 had but does not is the tripod mount on the aft end of the lens.

DSC00432.JPG

The lens opening is f/8.0 as that is all there is.

Reactions: Kevriano

FowlersFreeTime

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Nov 19, 2020
Name
Chris
Country
United States
City/State
Pembroke Pines/FL
That's gonna be a fun lens come next full moon!

Kevriano

Veteran Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 18, 2020
Name
Kev Harper
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
Ormesby St Margaret
Chris said it. Mirror lenses are great for moon shots. Interesting thing to play with.

Boojum

Well Known Member
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 9, 2021
Name
Sandy
Country
United States
City/State
Astoria, Oregon
Chris said it. Mirror lenses are great for moon shots. Interesting thing to play with.

That thought has crossed my mind. On a tripod. It will be in the wee hours of the morning as that is when I get my best shot at the moon.

Last edited:

Boojum

Well Known Member
Original poster
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Aug 9, 2021
Name
Sandy
Country
United States
City/State
Astoria, Oregon
Another example of what this cheap lens can do. The Pride of America is in port again.

DSC00433.JPG

I think I got my money's worth on this one. I do not often photograph things in motion so auto-focus is not needed. The A7M III indicates accurately when I have it focused so as long as I am not shooting cockfighting and similar I think I am good to go.

DSC00425.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: FowlersFreeTime

Pro Membership Upgrade

• If you'd like to support this community you can easily do so by becoming a Pro Member and unlocking the following benefits:

✓ No Adverts in the Forums
    ✓ Pro Member Competitions
    ✓ Sell Items in the Marketplace
    ✓ Unlimited Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Higher Resolution Gallery Uploads
    ✓ Forum Profile Signature
    ✓ Custom Profile Cover Photo
    ✓ Advertise Your Photography Workshops

Pro Member Upgrade

Shopping Links

You can also support this site by purchasing gear through the following affiliate links:
Although I would recommend supporting your local camera store if you have one.

User Menu

alpha shooters text logo

© 2020 Alpha Shooters. All Rights Reserved.
Disclaimer: Alpha Shooters is an independently run website and is not affiliated with Sony.com
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.