Newcomer
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Followers
Following
Name
Krystle
Hello everyone!

I've primarily shot with the a77 & a77ii for the last few years and was just gifted the a6000. Is there anything that I should know about the a6000? Quirks? Tips? Has anyone made a similar switch? Looking forward to seeing your shots soon!

- Krystle

My girlfriend is switching from her NEX-5 to an a6000 this week! From all of the research, it seems to be a pretty solid camera! The only thing I've heard of with it (Though I cannot confirm it's true) is that the lens connector isn't as robust as some of the higher-end models. I'll get her to check back once she's got an opinion on it! Good luck, and enjoy!

I've also heard that the 70-350mm G OSS is an incredible lens to be paired with the APS-C bodies. If you're looking for a wildlife lens, I'd definitely check it out!

Thanks for the lens advice! I've only received the body so I'm waiting on a converter that will hopefully adapt my A-mount lenses to the E-mount. But... who says no to buying more lenses? 😇

My girlfriend is switching from her NEX-5 to an a6000 this week! From all of the research, it seems to be a pretty solid camera! The only thing I've heard of with it (Though I cannot confirm it's true) is that the lens connector isn't as robust as some of the higher-end models. I'll get her to check back once she's got an opinion on it! Good luck, and enjoy!

I've also heard that the 70-350mm G OSS is an incredible lens to be paired with the APS-C bodies. If you're looking for a wildlife lens, I'd definitely check it out!

I primarily shoot Wildlife, so the speed and crop sensor of the a6x00 series has really appealed to me. Part of getting her getting the camera was also a test for me to see how well it'd do with lenses like the 200-600G. She primarily shoots macro nature photography, so something that gets her up close is what she's after so she's been eyeing that lens (currently she's using the 70-300G, though she feels it's overkill for such a small body)!

Which reminds me, one thing that I found with using her setup was balance with bigger lenses. If you like a balanced camera, I'd suggest looking into a vertical grip. Also, because of the lens connector comment, I found a tripod foot adaptor for the 70-300 and her strap is on the lens instead of the body. I remember seeing in the AS Wildlife FB page that some A-mount enses did convert pretty well for the E-mount, but were somewhat slow to acquire focus. If you're doing wildlife or something that requires fast focus, it may be worth looking into native E-mount lenses!

It's a very capable little camera. I used it for several years until the shutter button failed on me and I decided to upgrade to an a7iii. From my understanding, its seems to be the least weather-sealed of the mirrorless a6x000 and a7x lines, so living in a very dusty desert I could have potentially done a better job keeping the bits and pieces clean.

Mark Galer has some great ebook and videos about setting up specific cameras, and his a6000 ebook and youtube videos were really helpful for me in learning what my camera could do. The ebook is free, and you can get it here: https://www.markgaler.com/product/custom-settings-for-the-sony-alpha-a6000

Back