Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Rebecca
Country
United States
Hi all -

I'm a birder / naturalist person interested in taking up photography to enhance my ability to learn about birds, flora, ecology, etc., and I have not yet purchased any equipment. I hope it's OK to ask for advice in this section! If not, please let me know where to post.

I have narrowed my brand choice to Sony and have had one brief discussion with a salesperson from one of the large photography shops here in the US... they recommended that I start out with a Sony A6100 and a kit lens, but it was a brief discussion and I've learned a lot more now - not in practice but in reading and watching videos so far.

My thought is that I should go ahead and start with a Sony A7 III because I know that I want to take photos of birds (from a very small backyard to the prairies and mountains), and most of my friends are carrying telephoto lenses in the 400mm range or better. I realize one can use a large lens on a Sony A6100, but from what I understand, lens/camera balance issues are likely once I learn to use a larger telephoto lens. Is my thinking correct here?

If I do go with an A7 III, and know that I want to shoot primarily birds, both perched and in flight, but I'm also a total newbie, what lens should I consider purchasing first? Should I start with something completely basic and fixed, or a smaller telephoto, and if so, what quality starting out? My budget it pretty flexible and I'd rather err on the side of quality so I don't have to repeat purchase, but I welcome your feedback.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi all -

I'm a birder / naturalist person interested in taking up photography to enhance my ability to learn about birds, flora, ecology, etc., and I have not yet purchased any equipment. I hope it's OK to ask for advice in this section! If not, please let me know where to post.

I have narrowed my brand choice to Sony and have had one brief discussion with a salesperson from one of the large photography shops here in the US... they recommended that I start out with a Sony A6100 and a kit lens, but it was a brief discussion and I've learned a lot more now - not in practice but in reading and watching videos so far.

My thought is that I should go ahead and start with a Sony A7 III because I know that I want to take photos of birds (from a very small backyard to the prairies and mountains), and most of my friends are carrying telephoto lenses in the 400mm range or better. I realize one can use a large lens on a Sony A6100, but from what I understand, lens/camera balance issues are likely once I learn to use a larger telephoto lens. Is my thinking correct here?

If I do go with an A7 III, and know that I want to shoot primarily birds, both perched and in flight, but I'm also a total newbie, what lens should I consider purchasing first? Should I start with something completely basic and fixed, or a smaller telephoto, and if so, what quality starting out? My budget it pretty flexible and I'd rather err on the side of quality so I don't have to repeat purchase, but I welcome your feedback.

Thanks!
Hi Rebecca depends on what your budget can stand and what you want from them I would suggest that you have a look at the 100-400mm or the 200-600mm lens both are excellent lenses the 100-400 more expensive but I MHO a lot more flexible I have both and they can do different things the 100-400mm being a closer focus lens. I am sure others will have there own opinions. check out some of the better YouTubers
Mark Galer is a good one to start with here is a link to a comparison of 100-400mm-vs 200-600mm. And just keep asking on here Tim who runs the site is very helpful and has videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR_s8DRWh6U&t=1019s Mark Galer Link good luck 🙏

Hi Rebecca depends on what your budget can stand and what you want from them I would suggest that you have a look at the 100-400mm or the 200-600mm lens both are excellent lenses the 100-400 more expensive but I MHO a lot more flexible I have both and they can do different things the 100-400mm being a closer focus lens. I am sure others will have there own opinions. check out some of the better YouTubers
Mark Galer is a good one to start with here is a link to a comparison of 100-400mm-vs 200-600mm. And just keep asking on here Tim who runs the site is very helpful and has videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR_s8DRWh6U&t=1019s Mark Galer Link good luck 🙏
Thanks so much, Malcolm! I really enjoyed watching Mark Galer's videos this evening.

I'll chime in on the camera choice. I am a very new shooter with almost no experience, so reader beware. I'm started out with the A73. I had no intention of doing so but it was just the way circumstances developed. I am so happy that it turned out that way. First of all, I believe the A73 to be a very capable camera for the money. For me and what I hope to do, the range of cameras begins with the A72 (My original choice) and ends with the A1. Boiled down to to cost, those bodies run $1600 to $6500. So I paid around $1900 for my A73 with a 28-70 Kit Lens. So, near the bottom of the cameras, cost wise. I think NOT so near the bottom in it's capabilities. If I can get my own personal act together, there's not much I can't do with this camera. My limitations now are ME, not the camera. I have all Sony lenses so good compatibility there. If this endeavor grabs and holds your interest, the next Sony you might get will seem pretty familiar to you I think if you started with the A73. BTW, there is a TON of help for the A73 on the Net so you won't be running out of reading material any time soon. Mark Galer is a prime example but I have also really enjoyed hearing from some less famous people as well. One that comes to mind is Mike Smith.. You can find him easy on YouTube. He is known as Boxhead Mike. (Why, I don't know.) The things I like about him is he seems to realize that not all up and coming Photographers are oozing cash. Also, he knows and explains lots of different types of Photography, and does it in a very easy to understand manner.

Good luck with your choices. Hang around here too. There are some nice folks here. And we have guys like Malcom who has a lot of experience with the birds, and there are others as well. Have fun!

I'll chime in on the camera choice. I am a very new shooter with almost no experience, so reader beware. I'm started out with the A73. I had no intention of doing so but it was just the way circumstances developed. I am so happy that it turned out that way. First of all, I believe the A73 to be a very capable camera for the money. For me and what I hope to do, the range of cameras begins with the A72 (My original choice) and ends with the A1. Boiled down to to cost, those bodies run $1600 to $6500. So I paid around $1900 for my A73 with a 28-70 Kit Lens. So, near the bottom of the cameras, cost wise. I think NOT so near the bottom in it's capabilities. If I can get my own personal act together, there's not much I can't do with this camera. My limitations now are ME, not the camera. I have all Sony lenses so good compatibility there. If this endeavor grabs and holds your interest, the next Sony you might get will seem pretty familiar to you I think if you started with the A73. BTW, there is a TON of help for the A73 on the Net so you won't be running out of reading material any time soon. Mark Galer is a prime example but I have also really enjoyed hearing from some less famous people as well. One that comes to mind is Mike Smith.. You can find him easy on YouTube. He is known as Boxhead Mike. (Why, I don't know.) The things I like about him is he seems to realize that not all up and coming Photographers are oozing cash. Also, he knows and explains lots of different types of Photography, and does it in a very easy to understand manner.

Good luck with your choices. Hang around here too. There are some nice folks here. And we have guys like Malcom who has a lot of experience with the birds, and there are others as well. Have fun!
Thank you, Jeff!

Hi all -

Thanks!

You might consider renting, at least to make your lens decision. I'm not sure where in the Western US you are, but I'm in Salt Lake and we have an excellent camera shop here that rents Sony gear. If you don't have something local, there are online rental shops too. Rent the lenses you're thinking of purchasing either at one time or consecutively, and shoot the same subjects under as close to the same conditions as you can get. I think you'll know pretty quickly which is best for you.

Thanks for the suggestion to rent! I'll check into it.

How are you getting on Rebecca? Did you rent something to try out?

Hi - I haven't committed yet - still doing research. Thanks!

On the point of renting, I have used www.borrowlenses.com before and they usually have coupons a few times per year. Checking my email I see a code "GEARUP21" which is good for the month of March:
$20 Off Rentals $100+
$50 Off Rentals $250+
$100 Off Rentals $500+

I don't work for them, I just thought this coupon could be useful for you. Good luck!

Back