Nikon User

David T

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
David
Hello to all the Sony Alpha users out there. I don't own an Alpha camera yet, doing my research. I'm a Nikon user who is thinking of switching to Sony. I have a few lenses and looking into an adapter that would me to use my collection of lenses, any advice would be appreciated.

welcome! i can't offer any advice about nikon unfortunately, but it seems that there are a number of adapters out there.

Welcome from another forum n00b. I'm mainly a video guy but I started on Nikons. IMHO the color palette and the form factor of the Alphas is hands-down superior, and you'll be glad you made the switch.
As seuadr observed, there are a great many adapters available (check Amazon or Adorama). I bought one from B&H when I first made the switch, though I eventually sold or traded most of my 3rd party lenses. Other than a couple of Rokinons, I find the Sony lenses to be vastly superior to any of my old Nikkor lenses.

Is there an adapter that will allow Nikon lenses to be used on a sony A1??

Is there an adapter that will allow Nikon lenses to be used on a sony A1??
. Many like Metabones, but expensive. But make sure adapter has electronics for AF if using on high-end alphas. And when expensive, I'd check w a user of that adapter to verify its performance before buying. Unless at Amazon, et al, where it may be returnable in 30-days.

Nikon to Sony E-mount adapters

Last edited:
I find lots of adapters, but none that preserve the AF.

S

Sandy, I'm not an adapter user. Mostly because there are claims that they don't always have the electronics to match the AF performance of the native Sony lenses for Sony cams. I've merely heard that Metabones was one of the best. They certainly are the most expensive; and as the saying goes, you usually get what you pay for.

I have an excellent performing Nikkor 70-300 VR w exquisite sharpness/clarity. I hate to part with it. But I don't mess w adapters, so i'm reluctantly selling it to a camera broker because I don't trust the adapter electronics and compatibility w high-end alphas.

Since I got a really good price for my refrigerator box at the homeless shelter, ;) I can now afford G-Masters. GMs are safer investments with all this new super-hi-tech magnesium Sony is cranking out. Like the a1 that demands high performance glass to support the cam's advanced features.

I vaguely recall years back that the $500 Metabones had acceptable electronics for Sony E-mounts, but that was years ago. Things may have changed. Perhaps another forum member here is more versed in Nikon/Sony adapters than me. If I run across one, I'll post you.

Edited -- I'm not recommending these, just reporting since I haven't done the research:

Metabone Nikkor to Emount

Metabone website

Contax e-mount

Last edited:
Welcome David and thanks for joining up here. Unfortunately the Nikon to Sony adapters are not the best, especially when it comes to AF performance. There is the Commlite Enf-1pro adapter but I don't think this is being developed any more, and firmware v1.20 for the a7R IV also seemed to kill it. There is also the relatively new MonsterAdapter LA-FE1, but I can't confirm how well this works myself I'm afraid. There are a few reviews on the B&H Page.

Back