• ISO 100
Noses Point 9 May 23.jpg
  • ILCE-6500
  • E 11-20mm F2.8 B060
  • 20.0 mm
  • ƒ/16
  • 10/25 sec
  • ISO 100

I like #2 & 3, but what is going on with #2? Did the camera choose a wildly different white balance?

Any other reason for the drop to f5 on #3 and #4.......other than focus on the foreground and intended bokeh from the mid ground to infinity....?

Any other reason for the drop to f5 on #3 and #4.......other than focus on the foreground and intended bokeh from the mid ground to infinity....?
Just experimentation really. I'm still quite new to above the waves stuff. but yes the idea was to focus only on the pattern and the shape of the rocks. Do you think this was the wrong approach?

No it is absolutely not wrong Ian and certainly not a criticism of your work in any way.

I was just curios as to your compositional thinking.

In landscape shots you can either focus from the foreground out to infinity or
Alternatively on the foreground only with bokeh/blur for the middle ground to infinity.

The above is mainly achieved via your aperture settings, as you seem to demonstrate
in your images, whilst sometimes it is necessary To shoot the foreground to middle
ground in focus first and shoot the far distance seperately and combine in post......at
High aperture settings such as +11 the far distance becomes subject to distortion
particularly for detailed areas, and hence you may choose to have separate fore/mid
ground and far distance shots To achieve complete critical focus from foreground to
Far distance/infinity

It is personal preference at the end of the day as to what looks best or the image/perspective
you are seeking to achieve.

No it is absolutely not wrong Ian and certainly not a criticism of your work in any way.

I was just curios as to your compositional thinking.

In landscape shots you can either focus from the foreground out to infinity or
Alternatively on the foreground only with bokeh/blur for the middle ground to infinity.

The above is mainly achieved via your aperture settings, as you seem to demonstrate
in your images, whilst sometimes it is necessary To shoot the foreground to middle
ground in focus first and shoot the far distance seperately and combine in post......at
High aperture settings such as +11 the far distance becomes subject to distortion
particularly for detailed areas, and hence you may choose to have separate fore/mid
ground and far distance shots To achieve complete critical focus from foreground to
Far distance/infinity

It is personal preference at the end of the day as to what looks best or the image/perspective
you are seeking to achieve.
Thanks for that Ray. I've never tried combining different shots in post but I have struggled a little when taking larger landscape shots usually the foreground is fine but the distant points are not as sharp or are hazy. I'll read up on the process you describe. When I bought the wide angle lens my thinking was to use it for better large landscape stuff, I then saw some articles in magazines which showed that they were much more versatile and I really liked the examples it showed, ie getting up close to things to create different perspectives. I'm now trying to train myself to look for these opportunity's. This was one of my attempts.

Hi Ian,
From your images you are certainly on the right track as regards including a foreground element in your landscapes to raise interest
and compensate for expansive but less interesting middle to far distance scenery.

There are many good landscape professionals on YouTube where you will be able to expand your knowledge in your areas of interest.

On the matter of combining shots for focus optimisation you can take 2 images from the same shooting location with different
focus points for foreground and middle/far areas of your scene and mask/ blend in post. The same can also apply when you have
differing light and dark areas as might be the case for night shots with an illuminated sky but very dark foreground and might want
To Illuminate the foreground objects/areas.

I am sure you will very quickly pick all this up and wish you well going forward

Back