Name
Ed Galea
Country
United Kingdom
City/State
London
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
View of the Old Royal Naval College Greenwich, designed and built by Sir Christopher Wren (between 1696 and 1712) through to the new London financial district in Canary Wharf, across the Thames. Sony A7iv + Sony GM 70-200mm f2.8 OSS II. Shame about the cars, but this is a very busy road!
canary_wharf-1.jpg
  • ILCE-7M4
  • FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS II
  • 70.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 100

That's a great composition; I really like the juxtaposition of old and new. I also love the 70-200 f2.8 which is my favorite and most used lens (though mine is Nikon F mount).

On my first trip to Europe (I have been seven times now) I was in England and France for one week and did spend one morning at Canary Wharf to visit the Docklands Museum. Fond memories.

That's a great composition; I really like the juxtaposition of old and new. I also love the 70-200 f2.8 which is my favorite and most used lens (though mine is Nikon F mount).

On my first trip to Europe (I have been seven times now) I was in England and France for one week and did spend one morning at Canary Wharf to visit the Docklands Museum. Fond memories.
Thanks Fred, I appreciate the comment. I just luv this lens, it's awesome and seems to be able to do everything, and its soooooo light to carry. I haven't taken it off my camera since I bought it. I have it attached to my camera and carry it everywhere in my Think Tank sling bag, so it's pretty quick on the draw. However, I would fancy a bit more reach hence the interest in the 1.4x and 2.0x TC.

Thanks Fred, I appreciate the comment. I just luv this lens, it's awesome and seems to be able to do everything, and its soooooo light to carry. I haven't taken it off my camera since I bought it. I have it attached to my camera and carry it everywhere in my Think Tank sling bag, so it's pretty quick on the draw. However, I would fancy a bit more reach hence the interest in the 1.4x and 2.0x TC.
I often use my Nikon 70-200 with 1.4x extender, which works great. I do like the lighter weight (based on specs) of the Sony version II, but I am not in love with their cameras (hence my resistance to giving up my beloved Nikon D850). Currently I only use one Sony lens, the 200-600.

I often use my Nikon 70-200 with 1.4x extender, which works great. I do like the lighter weight (based on specs) of the Sony version II, but I am not in love with their cameras (hence my resistance to giving up my beloved Nikon D850). Currently I only use one Sony lens, the 200-600.
I'm also loving the Sony A7iv, again, its so light, but I guess all mirrorless FF cameras are light? I also like the versatility of the A7iv, its abilty to take good photographs and video, although I haven't really started to explore the video capabilities yet, still learning how to use the photography features and how to post-process photographs, next step is video.

Good point; a lot of people go to Sony for video capability. I have never done video and likely never will, so my only interest is still photography, which is why I like the traditional SLR viewfinder of my Nikon D850. (I will say, however, the viewfinder of my Sony A7 IV is far better than the Canon R5 which I had two different opportunities to briefly try out; it was hideous).

Nice shot Ed! Love the sharpness all over. Did you use wide focus or spot focus on one of the lightpoles in the forground? I don't think you focus-stacked it with tripod and all?

Nice shot Ed! Love the sharpness all over. Did you use wide focus or spot focus on one of the lightpoles in the forground? I don't think you focus-stacked it with tripod and all?
Thanks Lodbrok. I was using spot focus and I was focusing on the foreground, the railings in the fencing. I was standing a fair way back from the fencing. I was aiming to get the foreground sharper than the distant background. I was just holding the lens, no tripod. What part of Norway are you from? I do a quite a bit of work in Norway, mainly Haugesund and Tromso, but I've also been up to Svalbard - unfortunately, I only had my Iphone with me on that trip!

Thanks Lodbrok. I was using spot focus and I was focusing on the foreground, the railings in the fencing. I was standing a fair way back from the fencing. I was aiming to get the foreground sharper than the distant background. I was just holding the lens, no tripod. What part of Norway are you from? I do a quite a bit of work in Norway, mainly Haugesund and Tromso, but I've also been up to Svalbard - unfortunately, I only had my Iphone with me on that trip!
I live at the coastline half hour drive south from Stavanger. Svalbard is on my bucketlist. Wide-angle lenses and all the filters etc. Long exposureshots!

Back